Dynamic brake for old Dewalt saw

I've acquired an old (about 1960) Dewalt radial arm saw. (Price was right.) The thing is, the blade spins pretty long when shut off.
I've seen a similar Dewalt saw fitted with an add-on magnetic brake. Since it was painted the same (that splatter green) I assume it was from Dewalt. Now, this was forty years ago; I was in junior high, though that very saw is still in operation.
Does anyone out there know of add-on magnetic brakes designed for fractional HP motors like saws? Gotta be economical; I've seen some industrial strength (and priced) items out on the web.
BTW, we'll bring some life to this group. I've got a couple more questions to post sometime.
Thanks for any help.
Scott Dallmeyer
You kind of posed two questions in one Scott, unless I misread it, which is entirely possible. My first thought was simply enough, is it necessary to your workpiece to rapidly stop rotation, or is it just a personal preference? Dynamic breaking as you may be aware actually involves shorting of the motors leads, following release of the trigger. Current available technology does not provide for economical true dynamic braking in the type of application in which you seek to utilize it. An inexpensive manual "kill" switch will, in essence, provide the desired result that it sounds like you are seeking. Secondly, when you reference magnetic braking the applications that immediately come to mind are those of "holding" brakes, something that I am either misunderstanding or cannot envision the desire to add this feature to anything other than a commercial/industrial grade application cut-off saw. At any rate and irregardless of the application, you will find what you are referencing at http://www.thomasregister.com/ utilize the search path: Brakes: Motor and it should rend approximately 90 individual companies that provide friction technologies for various motor breaking applications. Hope this is helpful.

Basically, it's personal preference, though there's a safety issue too. I thought most tools were now designed to stop faster. I'd rather have it stop so I can get on with a new setup or whatever.

Maybe just a DPDT switch will do the job. I'll have to go see what's in that box they bolted on the school's saw in 1961. Your misunderstanding is only caused by my own ignorance and mixed use of the terms "dynamic braking" and "magnetic braking".

No, I'm not thinking of magnetically activated friction brakes. You're right: way too complicated for this application.

Thomas Register - good steer. Thanks.
My pleasure Scott, let me know if they had something you could use or if we need to keep looking. And yes, quite probably a simple DPDT or other similar "kill" device is also precisely what you will find located in that mysterious little box mounted on the one back in the school shop. Always a pleasure talking with someone interested in preserving or upgrading the "great" tools of days since gone.~TDB~

type
"kill"
you
that