Wifi thermometers

Page 1 of 2
Do most of the Wifi thermometers (NOT thermostats) have the ability to access them from WAY for away. I am looking for a (relatively) cheap way to keep tabs on the temp in my house while I am traveling. Can't tell from just the descriptions on Amazon if they work like that and whether I need to have a computer handy or if they can be accessed directly from the router/modem.
but what they conceal is vital.
On 11/8/2013 4:59 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Get one which uses an app for your smartphone, um, that is, if you use a smartphone, otherwise, you will need a computer. I do believe most, if not all, do use apps, but double check the one you purchase. The name brands will have apps.
I have a Lennox furnace/ac system which came with it's own touch screen wifi thermostat/thermometer. I am able to control the temp and program from ANYWHERE I can get connection.
Meanie wrote:

Hi, That is through the Internet. WiFi is connected to your router.
On 11/8/2013 8:51 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

No, it's connected via WiFi. The same as my garage door opener and some lighting in my house. Technically, WiFi uses the internet to gain remote access but it's still WiFi. All WiFi can be accessed by anyone if they know the code/password via the internet.
On 11-09-2013, 08:14, Meanie wrote:

Not so. The code/password/key/etc. authenticates the WiFi device to the access point (AP), often part of the router, but not necessarily. The internet side of the access point is reached by an IP address, which has no password. There may be, however, something else BETWEEN the AP and the internet that restricts access in some other way. Usually, this is the router and most home routers don't allow anything outside to initiate a connection.
--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html
On 11/9/2013 1:49 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

But all can still be accessed via internet if the capability arises.
On 11-09-2013, 14:08, Meanie wrote:

No. IF the router doesn't block the access (as most DO) and IF the device is capable of responding to such attempts, only then can you access the device from outside the LAN.
--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html
Wes Groleau wrote:

Hi, Between thermostat and router is not a problem. Accessing the info on temp. and humidity from any where in the world. Ideally best to have a domain own name registered via DDNS. I can even see my house inside out thru surveillance cameras from any where. When looking for one make sure supplier [rovide DDNS for your use. c
On 11-10-2013 10:31, Tony Hwang wrote:

Your router has been changed from the default to allow these connections to be initiated from the outside. That's a bit different from the blanket statement that your "WiFi" can be accessed from the internet anytime.
Hopefully, you have also had installed appropriate security to keep out the <censored>
--
Wes Groleau

Pat's Polemics
Wes Groleau wrote:

Hi, Of course, my router is enterprise class UTM router. Do you have your own Domain name? WiFi connection only between thermostat or cameras and router.
On 11-10-2013 15:40, Tony Hwang wrote: > Of course, my router is enterprise class UTM router. Do you have your

Apparently you understand something about routers and WiFi. So why do you take exception to my trying to educate someone who doesn't?
--
Wes Groleau

“A man with an experience is never
OK, I can see that a thermostat that allows me to monitor the temperature in my house from anywhere in the world will save me a few sleepless nights not knowing if I'm going to come home to a frozen house because the furnace died while I was away. Ditto if I had hot water heat and the house froze because the circulating pump stopped circulating.
But, what on this Good Earth would anyone use an internet ready thermostat for besides that?
That is, once you find out that the temperature in your house is 75 degrees F, so that you're confident that nothing is wrong, what more would you do with an internet ready thermostat?
I just never had anything like that, and I expect the reason I never took interest in it was that I could never see the point in it.
--
nestork

I think I found a cheaper solution to my desire to monitor temperature. I have an older MacBook with a cracked screen but functioning camera. I think I'll just set it up with a program that lets it function as an always-on security program and point the camera at the thermometer on the thermostat.
but what they conceal is vital.
On Monday, November 11, 2013 2:15:10 AM UTC-5, nestork wrote:

One very nice thing is that you can change the temperature from anywhere. If you're going away on a trip in winter, you can set the temp to 50F. When you land at the airport, you can turn it up to 70F and the house will be warm when you get home. Or if you leave and forget to turn it down, you can check and do it remotely. Or if you're in business, have a varying schedule and aren't sure when you'll be back, you could keep the temp set low, then turn it up when headed back.
On 11/11/2013 6:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I'm all for convenience, but are you really unable to endure the 10 minutes it takes the air in your house to reach 70F?
Maybe it's just me. I think that most people shouldn't have cellphones. It's just an excuse to go thru life without a plan and the attention span of a gnat wasting my time waiting on you. Calling to tell me you'll be late is no less wasteful of my time. Be there when you said you would, and you won't need a damn cellphone.
On Monday, November 11, 2013 2:55:06 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:

Heh, I know it's a post from last year, but I just happened to see this. IDK how big your house or furnace are, but you sure can't raise the typical house from 50F to 70F in 10 mins in winter. And if you can, you have a very oversized furnace, which isn't good. It would take more than two hours to raise mine that much and I think that's typical.
On 11/11/2013 01:15 AM, nestork wrote:

I'd use it while at home, for remote control.

--
44 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11-11-2013, 02:15, nestork wrote:

You can also change the setting remotely.
Which you will need to do A LOT to reduce utility bills enough to pay for the beast within a couple of years.
--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html
Wes Groleau wrote:

Hmm, Little knowledge is very dangerous.
Wes Groleau wrote:

Hmmm, Of course. Also my router is enterprise class