Honeywell wifi thermostats

Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it is and how to install.

Reply to
taxed and spent

I have a VisionPro, not wifi, so can't help with the wifi part, but if you have the wifi version of the VP, it should have similar thermostat operation characteristics and if you have a question on that part, I might be able to help.

I've been very happy with the VP, have had a couple of them.

Reply to
trader_4

thanks, but it is the wifi that is now a bit troublesome.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Because that's all you need to know. It's so great. I'm surprised they give installation instructions because it's great whether it's installed or not.

But you should ask your questions in the first post or as soon as possible. People get bored with threads very quickly and may not stick around to read the questions. Not only that, forumulating the question for other people maybe be enough that you can answer it yourself. It certainly helps.

Reply to
micky

So, your answer is: no. Go back to sleep.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Hi, I have a Redlink gateway on my wireless 'stat. Only thing I don't like is you have to use Honeywell server by registering your device. My daughter's cabin has Ecobee and she like it very much. I just check my home some times from work. We have a dog alone at home some days.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks. I wasn't aware of Ecobee, and the Redlink sounds like overkill for this application.

The owner has the RTH6580WF thermostat.

It is installed in a mountain house, and it was installed and working well for about two months.

Now the owner frequently gets "system cannot connect to thermostat" or some such message. Later, it will work fine. However, I have tried several times when the message appears to use the internet portal (not the app) to change a system setting (the error message says system settings cannot be changed when the connection is lost). Each time it takes a bit, but changes the system setting and the error message goes away. So, I am able to FORCE a wifi connection when the thermostat has lost the wifi connection - so far without exception.

Obviously, this is a PITA, and owner wants a constant wifi connection to the thermostat so it can be monitored via the app and alert messages received as needed.

Any thoughts? A trip to the house is planned in a week or so. Thanks.

Reply to
taxed and spent

As I understand it, Sweat and the other guy who escaped from Dannemora will be staying at the house for the next 3 weeks. They will make sure the pipes don't freeze.

Reply to
micky

Your nap time is not over. Go back to sleep. You know how cranky you get.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Did you try calling up Honeywell support and asking them? I believe that thermostat is one of their products that are sold retail, so they should answer questions. On the VisionPro, if you want to ask anything about installation, how to change parameters, etc they tell you to go stuff yourself. You're supposed to call one of the guys with a butt crack that charges $100+ to come over and do it.

Reply to
trader_4

I have an e-mail in to them. I have not called yet, but a number of reviews do not give high marks to their telephone service. I am hoping an e-mail might get routed to a person who can answer it correctly. Fingers crossed, but I may end up calling at some point.

Reply to
taxed and spent

What's the rest of the wifi setup at the house look like? Wireless router connected to cable? Confident that part of it is working normally with other devices?

Reply to
trader_4

yep, pretty simple wifi set up. Never had a problem with other devices, but none are on line right now to check remotely.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Her acreage/cabin is in a small hamlet just outside Banff national park. The first winter after getting installed Ecobee, she got an alarm on her iPhone. Furnace had trouble, room temp. was dropping. She called caretaker of the hamlet, he called tech. out of Banff, found HSI burnt out. He charged only ~150.00 including parts, trip, labor. I thought that was good. She works at Banff Hot spring hospital and clinic when she has some spare time. Maybe that's why(?).

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Maybe set up QoS to give higher priority for the Redlink? Try different DNS after download/running namebench. Some times it is possible to find better/faster DNS than one given by ISP as default. Use ping command to see if there is too much lag. My Redlink box is near the router. Make sure WiFi channel has minimum interference(overlap with neighbor's signal) You can survey neighbor's WiFi running Acrylic or inSSIDer utility.(Acrylic is free, older inSSIDer is free but won't see 5GHz)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Once I emailed some specific install question and got the reply next day. Maybe I id'd myself as Honeywell retiree? Often I go into local office and there are still guys who recognize me who gives me what I need if it is small stuff free. All user/install PDF is downloadable.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

good ideas. I was thinking about ping test, and checking on what channel neighbors are on would be good to do for all use at the house.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Now there is some movement going in condo, apartment block neighbors to get together and coordinate their WiFi situation to minimize QRM(interference) for mutual benefit. 5GHz band is still less crowded.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have seen that in a condo in Hawaii, but not among neighboring SFDs.

Reply to
taxed and spent

I have a Honeywell T stat. You have to register it and create a user profile, and it has to connect with your home wifi system. It is great, I can check the settings, and even turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii ! You can control it from your Smartphone, just look for the Honeywell app, at the app store

Reply to
Sid in Sacramento