Wifi thermometers

One very nice thing is that you can change the temperature from anywhere. If you're going away on a trip in winter, you can set the temp to 50F. When you land at the airport, you can turn it up to 70F and the house will be warm when you get home. Or if you leave and forget to turn it down, you can check and do it remotely. Or if you're in business, have a varying schedule and aren't sure when you'll be back, you could keep the temp set low, then turn it up when headed back.

Reply to
trader4

Hmm, Little knowledge is very dangerous.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'd use it while at home, for remote control.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'm all for convenience, but are you really unable to endure the 10 minutes it takes the air in your house to reach 70F?

Maybe it's just me. I think that most people shouldn't have cellphones. It's just an excuse to go thru life without a plan and the attention span of a gnat wasting my time waiting on you. Calling to tell me you'll be late is no less wasteful of my time. Be there when you said you would, and you won't need a damn cellphone.

Reply to
mike

You can also change the setting remotely.

Which you will need to do A LOT to reduce utility bills enough to pay for the beast within a couple of years.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Tony, I agree. I own my name (dongares.com) and several other domains and if you point your browser to

you can see the temperature in my home and also the weather outside. I do have that URL redirected at this time but it will still get you there.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Hi, WX station? I have a Davis one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nope, La Crosse Technology. Actually, I have two identical ones just in case something goes bad but so far the second one is still in the box. I also have live cameras pointed at the house from a detached building and several motion activated cameras in the house that upload via ftp and also email me if motion is detected. Of course they are only on when we are gone.

Reply to
IGot2P

Hi, I have two outdoor and two indoor cameras all Vivotech ones. Just set it up and ready when needed.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

We bought a Nest for our other house while it was vacant. It works really well and is fairly simple to install on pretty much any system. it doesn't meet the OP's requirement of "not a thermostat", though.

Reply to
krw

Hi,

If you are still looking for WiFi thermometer with access from "away" - have a look there WiSpherT

Cheers,

WiSpher

Reply to
wispher.net

Hi,

If yiu are still looking for WiFi theremometer with access from "away" please have a look there:

Cheers,

WiSpher

Reply to
wispher.net

Hi,

If you are still looking for the WiFi thermometer with access from "away" please have a look there:

Cheers, WiSpher

Reply to
wispher.net

Heh, I know it's a post from last year, but I just happened to see this. IDK how big your house or furnace are, but you sure can't raise the typical house from 50F to 70F in 10 mins in winter. And if you can, you have a very oversized furnace, which isn't good. It would take more than two hours to raise mine that much and I think that's typical.

Reply to
trader_4

Hmm, There is Eco Bee also.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I can raise mine from 35F to 80F in under 10 minutes ... BUT I have a woodburning stove sized for the final size of our new house , and only about 30% of the final structure is currently built . I don't expect that quick of temp rise when we're finished , but that's partly because of the thermal storage mass that will be incorporated into the final structure .

Reply to
Terry Coombs