How well do WiFi thermostats work?

Thinking of installing a WiFi thermostat in a building that gets used only a few hours a week (but not the same hours every week) -- connected to a WiFi hotspot.

Anyone done this?

Any good or bad models? It would have to be a 7-day model.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I have one sort of like that. Its called a "Wife-Eye" t-stat. I have the wife keep an eye on it. ;-)

Reply to
Retired

The thermostat is still connected via wires to furnace. The WiFi simply allows for remote access/control.

I have a Lennox screen display thermostat which has worked flawlessly since the day it was installed....August 2012. The only problems will mostly be related to the internet or router connection only. In that, everything else will blank out also.

Reply to
Meanie

Yes, of course.

OK. thanks for that. I was looking at a Honeywell, which may even just plug in in place of the existing one.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I have the Honeywell one and have been happy with it for the last 3 years. I mainly use it when we are snowbirding. My daughter house sits but comes down over Christmas. So when she is gone I remotely turn it down and save money. When we load up to take her back to the airport, I put the temp back up and she is all warm and toasty by the time she arrives home. I have also upped the standard temp a couple of degrees if it gets way below zero to help the pipes a bit. If there are Internet disruptions, it emails me to let me know and then to let me know when it comes back up. I had a router go out a couple of years ago the thermostat was the first indication. The furnace still works fine with the outages.

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Didn't mean to insult your intelligence on that one but I have actually met people who thought a WiFi thermostat was completely wireless, even to the furnace.

Reply to
Meanie