Tub feet

I tried the other day to mount the feet on our "new" (mfd 1910) clawfoot tub , and they won't fit into the slot . I didn't try to force them , wouldn't want to crack this thing ... I figger I need to get after either the feet or the sides of the slot in the tub with a grinder , but which is not critical . My question is how loose/tight do I want to fit these things ? Light interference fit or a little loose and shim them with cardboard to keep them in place while I roll the tub upright ? Got all the bits and pieces ($$!) now and the Mrs. wants to soak ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I recall them being a loose fit & they had a slot in them for a cut nail to wedge them on place, but it has been a few years.......

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Maybe each foot only fits one specific slot?

Reply to
Muggles

Hmm , I'll look tomorrow , there is one that will fit on one corner . These slide onto a ledge kinda like a french cleat , I never looked at the other end . Would make sense to use a wedge to lock them in place .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Maybe , but I don't think so . Could not get eny of them to fit the one corner . This tub has been refinished , could be that they just toss 'em all in a pile and grab 4 when they send one out . Not a big deal , I have what I need to modify them . My loving wife has always indulged my toolwhoredom , sure in the knowledge that the tools cost less than the repairs I do with them would have cost ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

You want them as snug as possible without requiring excessive force to install. Looseness allows movement, which can cause breakage.. If you get too much clearance, use urethane to bond them in place (the stuff they mount windshields with on late model vehicles)

Reply to
clare