WiFi passwords

I have a new phone and my collection of WiFi passwords was not transferred along with the phone swap.

A various collection that took me three years to collect.

Anyway to find them on my old phone?

Reply to
ARW

A couple of things to try: If your old phone hasn't been run over by a hefty vehicle as mine recently was, put your SIM card in the old phone, let it connect to your home WiFi (which I'm assuming it will do automatically without use of passwords), locate the file you want and either copy or move it to Drive. Then replace the SIM in the new phone, go to Drive and download the file to your new phone.

  1. If the old phone is beyond help, from the new phone open the Drive app. In the Menu you will see a heading Backups and, with luck, this section will contain the last backup done of your old phone - always supposing you hadn't turned off Google's helpful automatic backup function. If the backup exists, go back to the main Drive menu and take a look at the Help & Feedback section which has helpful guidance about restoring and recovering files.

If you've already tried all of that and I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, then I apologise and will retire gracefully from the scene.

Reply to
Scribbles

Android or iPhone?

Reply to
John Rumm

Android

Reply to
ARW

Yes, one-by-one, but it does vary a bit by manufacturer and android version

go into settings/wifi/saved networks, do you see a share icon with a QR code? either scan that on the new phone, or type it in from the password shown under the QR

if that's not an option, what phone and android version is the old one?

Reply to
Andy Burns

2017 A3 Samsung Android 8 - can display a list of saved networks, with option to delete any of them, but no display of passwords or means of saving them somewhere.
Reply to
Davidm

ISTR a "Samsung Switch" app that migrates data etc from one Samsung to another, including passwords.

Perhaps look at that?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

This page may help.

GB

That allows data to be migrated, but doesn't let you see passwords.

Googling finds quite a few hits, but all answers involving apps to view or copy wifi passwords that I've found need the phone to be rooted. Something I'm not prepared to do.

Reply to
Davidm

I think that I saw, in googling, that one could bring up each connection, display it as a QR code, presumably to share it, and that would show the password+SSID (though possibly encrypted...).

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Work has got in the way and I have not had chance to try any of the suggestions yet.

Reply to
ARW