What vehicle to buy for home improvement?

Page 2 of 2

For 4x8s you need a big vehicle, get what you like to drive and consider deliveries, a trailer or helpers truck. What can you see yourself driving. A friend of mine had an older Volvo wagon that she said 4x8s fit. A station wagon fits ladders, mowers, alot of stuff a car with a trunk wont. I use a small volvo wagon. But what are you talking about here, redoing a house, I broke a spring last year moving tile with a Volvo. If its ocasional big loads pay or rent at HD a truck.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:00:43 -0800, Aaron Fude wrote:

I agree with those that made the choice of the trailer.
Aaron Fude wrote:

The largest F-450 Flatbed with the biggest gas or diesel guzzling engine you can find? We need to support Detroit!!! and get our money back. Obtw make sure you take out the largest loan allowable too. And in 3 months you'll need a bailout, fore sure!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Sounds like a Tundra, F150, or Silverado. I'm sure smaller trucks will haul a good-size load for many home projects, although 4x8 sheets may not lay flat. The 2-wheel drive is lighter than the 4-wheel drive. I used to rent a truck a couple times a year (well worth the $100) when I only had a small car.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:00:43 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude

All my Chryler LeBaron convertibles would hold 4'x8' sheets of plywood. On the floor of the back seat, leaning back at maybe 45 degrees.
But they wouldn't do drywall because drywall doesn't bend.
Oh, you have to put the top down.

mm wrote:

base version to get 4x8 in with the hatch shut. Or if you live south of the salt line, an old full-size station wagon (all the ones up north are long gone). But really, an old baby pickup truck (from when they were still small, not the recent bloated jacked up ones that look like sandbox toys) is hard to beat for a regular DIYer. Old Toyota pickups are hard to kill and last forever, and the stretch cab ones do okay as daily drivers. (again, if you live south of salt line.)
And for hauling drywall in a convertible, just buy 2 sheets of plywood (or bring them from home), and put the drywall between them. Same way I used to haul queen mattresses on car roofs without them flapping in the wind, back when everyone I knew moved every 18 months. And rope and bungee cords, of course. Lots of rope and bungee cords.
-- aem sends...