Insulate humidifier drain tube from furnace flue

I installed a humidifier recently on my furnace. All mechanicals are in a small closet, and the only way that the overflow tubing (3/8 ID vinyl tubing) can be routed to the drain is over the furnace flue - so gravity pulls the tubing into contact with the flue. Since this gets really hot (hot enough to melt the pipe wrap insulation I tried), I need a method to keep the tubing from melting. Any ideas? I'd like to avoid having to purchase and use mineral wool since I only need a tiny bit and that stuff is pretty nasty. Extra points for original ideas! Thanks everyone.

Reply to
mattmeitzner

=BDI'd like

use soft copper but be sure the heat cant work its way back and melt the humidifier

soft copper is stiff enough to form away from flue.

or use some hangers on the plastic line keep it well away

vinyly is highly flammable, you have a fire hazard:(

Reply to
hallerb

Original? How about a hanger of any type, you nit-wit. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I have a hanger right now, but I consider this a temporary solution as it looks very amateurish. Just wasn't sure if there was another option for a more professional look. I like the copper tubing idea, thanks!

Reply to
mattmeitzner

or run the line a different way to a condensate pump?

Reply to
hallerb

Cut the plastic tubing and use some soft copper in the high heat areas and hose clamp the plastic to the copper well away from the hot flue.

Reply to
beecrofter

When I was more actively doing HVAC, we had metal parts called "stand offs".

The other suggestion to use copper tubing sounds right.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon