Home Repair/Improvement Books

I'm about to purchase my first home and I'm considering purchasing "The Complete Photo Guide to Home Improvement" and "The Complete Photo Guide To Home Repair" by Black & Decker. These two books seem to receive high praise on Amazon.com, does anyone have any experiences with these books? Also, what home repair/improvement encyclopedia-type books would you recommend?

Greg M

Reply to
Greg M

I tend to avoid encyclopedic stuff as it is so bulky and hard to use, and everything in it gets out of date all at once. I tend to browse do it yourself stores, hardwares or home depot, and buy just the thin specific book I need, like plumbing, electrical, masonry, carpentry. This photo guide may be ok, but sometimes diagrams are much more instructive. Go for the books whose instructions seem clearest to you. I sometimes suspect booksellers' high praise, as it looks sort of interest-conflicted, and I doubt if all those "reviews" are real.

Reply to
Roger T.