The Dielectric Union

how come I wasn't told about this

This is a dielectric union. This device electrically separates the water heater from the household piping.

chickenwing

They make a Dielectric Nipple. I think that's a better choice

Sacramento Dave

I donno. Did you ask? We normally just don't spout off information unless asked! Someone a while back had commented on the corroded mess he had on the water line of his water heater. I recommended dielectric unions then. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

You didn't get the memo? Tom

Reply to
tom

Uhhhhh, ya think maybe that's why you have plumbers? Maybe at 90.00/hr they don't want to give all their secrets away.

Reply to
evodawg

I also learned that a sanitary T cannot lay flat. now this d.u. i learned what a trap under a sink was for (silly but true)

anymore $90 hr secrets?

just one more, lemme get just one more

*when you can't think just use knoppix live
Reply to
chickenwing

The Dielectrics have a union? What sort of benefits does it offer its members?

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Death benefits...? ;)

RicodJour

I found these "secrets" and much more in "Remodel Plumbing" by Rex Cauldwell. Lots of good info and photos, very useful for the amateurs. The book is part of Taunton's series "For Pros By Pros" but I'm not sure the pros would actually need it.

"The Complete Guide to Home Plumbing" by Black & Decker is also nice for filling in some gaps from the first book (e.g. extensive rundown on pipe types and uses). Both books are dirt cheap compared to potential repair bills.

Reply to
chocolatemalt

Nope, no more you got to pay!

Reply to
evodawg

Steve wrote:The Dielectrics have a union? What sort of benefits does it offer its members?

"Elron" Hubbard wouldn't allow unionization. Tom

Reply to
tom

I dunno, but I think they are listed on the sign for the shared hall I pass on the way to work....

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

This is not a Dielectric fitting. This is just a nipple with a plastic sleeve, that will not insulate from the current. You can check this easily with a DMM. Simple continuity test. Granted I am sure it would not corrode nearly as quickly, as a unlined nipple. But as soon as water gets between the sleeve and the nipple. There is a space between the plastic and the nipple from molding. Plastic shrinks as it cools from the molding process. It will start corroding.

Rick R.

Reply to
Rick R

I've been looking for a solution to the galvanic corrosion for many years. My very hard water after softening is a very conductive electrolyte. Using brass nipples supplied with a water heater, I got galvanic corrosion of the tank near the nipples and early tank failure. Switching to galvanized nipples, the nipples soon corroded at the dielectric connection. The short path across the insulation is apparently easily bridged in conductive water. But this is an improvement -- better to replace nipples every year or so than an early failed heater.

Plastic lined nipples seem to be new to the market. They do provide a much longer conductive path though the conductive water. I installed a pair a year ago. The early signs of corrosion I experienced with the previous steel nipples have not appeared and I am hopeful that this will be a substantial improvement over the previous solutions. It will take some time to conclusively prove their value but I am hopeful.

SJF

Reply to
SJF