Ground Union????

We got a propane heater the other day. The installation instructions call for a "ground union" between the incoming on/off valve and the heater connection. What's a "ground union" and what happens if I don't use one?

JC

Reply to
J.C.

I might be totally wrong with this but I believe a ground union is a connector that is grounded to allow static electricity to dischage safely. I believe this is only used on fixed natural gas or the big propane tanks.

If you Google > "ground union" propane < there are a bunch of pdf files explaining what they are .

Like all gas things I assume if something goes wrong you get a fire and massive explosion :)

Reply to
marks542004

That should read "ground joint union".

Look closely at a black iron (malleable) pipe union and you&#39;ll see an embedded ring of copper or brass which is carefully ground and polished to make a leak-tight seal between the union halves.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks to both of you. And you&#39;re correct, it is "Ground Joint Union".

JC

Reply to
J.C.

A google search turned up this discussion:

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great

Thanks Tom.