Dryer is squeaking

16 Years?? Time for a parts replacement. Belt, idler pulley, some glides. I assume it is a belt driven unit. The parts house will know what you need and may have it all in one kit. You will need the manual to find out how to take the machine apart (mostly how to get the drum out). Putting it together again is easy.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K
16 year old GE gas dryer squeaking. Possible causes? How hard to fix? Sites with pictures of dryers?

TIA

LB

Reply to
LB

LB,

There's nylon glides and bearings or bushings that wear out. Once pulled apart the dryer's friction parts can be seen easily. Parts aren't that dear. Just give yourself a day to do it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave L.

Just make the TV louder and don't worry about it.

Reply to
Kathy

All of the other suggestions are very valid, but our dryer started screetching like a banshee a couple of months ago, and the cause was just an opened safety pin which had embedded itself in the front felt glide and was scratching against the bearing surface of the drum.

That's probably because I use safety pins to join every pair of dirty sox I take off at the toes before I toss them in the laundry basket, so my loving wife doesn't have to sort them out for me when she does the laundry. (Yes, she does the laundry, but I do the snow-blowing, the lawn mowing and fix the cars....)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Set out mouse traps. HAHAHAHA!!!!

More seriously, the squeaky driers I've fixed, I've had to remove a few screws (open the door, and look up to find them). Lift the top.

Remove a couple sheet metal screws (5/16 ratchet wrench) which hold the front panel on.

Remove front panel (swing away cause there are wires)

Remove drum, noting how small black belt loops around idler (lower left) and motor (also lower left).

Look for two idler rollers in back, way down low. About three inch diameter. Lube the roller shaft wtih something that doesn't attract dust, like silicone. Teflon. Graphite.

Reassemble. Which is a lot harder that it sounds "reassemble".

Pictures? Can't help you there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Also possible, but the couple I've done, the problem was the two idler rollers in the back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi,

Model#?

Belt won't squeak but should be checked for any cracking. Rear drum bearing, idler pulley, motor are common noise makers....esp the rear drum bearing on a GE dryer.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

What a great group:-))

Thanks to all who replied.

From the range of possibilities it sounds like I might want to get a pro(?), especially since the dryer is in a fairly tight space. I am in NW NJ any thoughts?

TIA, again.

LB

Reply to
LB

While I agree with the other suggestions and I would suggest replacing the belt(s) and checking the pulleys and checking the motor; you may want to try just blowing out the dust and lint. I have found that to be effective and since I have my own air compressor, cheap and easy.

Good luck.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Dryer repair (mechanical issues) is one of the easiest things for a new DIY'er to tackle.

Go to repairclinic.com & buy a repair guide for your dryer, they're cheap & worth it.

repairclinic.com can help you diagnose the problem, the manual has exploded views of your dryer & they can suppy the parts you need.

Even if you have only a few hand tools, you should be able to replace the drum rollers & their shafts (that's my guess as the source of the squeak) in a couple hours.

I have 1972 Kenmore electric dryer that squeaked like crazy, I replaced the rollers & shafts in 1990 & it's been running couple loads a week in my shop since then.

cheers Bob

Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Thank You:-))

LB

Reply to
LB

BobK207 wrote: ...

If it's GE or Whirlpool type, the most likely culprit is the nylon bearing on the drum shaft not the drum support rollers...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

May or may not help....

Zip code needed.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

"There are currently no companies in your area that match your criteria."

But thanks anyway.

LB

Reply to
LB