Home Improvement show

I never really got into the show but the TV was on and Tim was in the bathroom. I got a chuckle out of this scene

We are going to replace the existing galvanized plumbing. Before we do that, we are going to have to remove this section of sheet rock. The tool I have selected for the job is a 20 lb sledge hammer.

Reply to
Terry

Reminds me of all these fix it up shows and remodeling shows. It seems they always are trying to see how small of pieces they can make the sheetrock into. When removing a wall, they make it into microchips instead of just sawsall'ing it into two pieces and carrying it out.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Or when they remove cabinets. Instead of seeing if they unscrew them from the walls and carry them out, they smash them apart. Then they have unscrew the back from the wall, anyway.

Reply to
Karl S

Not to mention, usually there's nothing wrong with the cabinets except that they're not yuppified and they could probably sell them to some normal people needing cabinets.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Looks like some of them don't know how to use a sledge hammer and could get seriously hurt. Reminds me of armature fighters coming out swinging with haymakers but couldn't hit a thing. It really doesn't take that much longer to remove it gently in one piece so the cabinets could be reused in the garage, shed or even donated.

Reply to
# Fred #

Come on folks! People don't watch a hockey game for the player's skating or athletic ability but the fights. They don't watch an auto race for the racer's driving skills but the crashes. They don't watch these home improvement shows for the carpentry skills, but the destruction!

Reply to
Mark

Hey!!! I don't want to hear that.

Next thing you're going to tell me is people buy Playboy Magazine for the pictures and not the articles.

Reply to
Karl S

Yes, I always laugh at when they hand a 98 pound woman a 10 pound sledge to knock a small section of drywall down.

There is a Canadian reno show where the host/contractor has a simple way of pulling drywall down without any hammer. He punches a hole in the sheet with his fist, then grabs it at the hole and pulls the whole sheet down. So simple to the other extreme.

Reply to
EXT

Then you haven't seen Miriam Johnson in action! Watch Hometime recently?

Speaking of which, does anyone recall a home repair show with a guy named Craig Lowe (I could have that a little wrong...) with a really simple opening -- I think "The Handyman Show" in cartoon.

This guy was 100% common sense, and I'd never miss an episode. If I were going to be elsewhere, I'd tape the show. He'd handle appliances, paint, concrete, furnaces and so forth with straightforward demonstrations.

Naturally our cable service took him off the air for some realty show.

Reply to
Robert Barr

"Terry" wrote in news:1169687614.938389.92440 @v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

I never got into it either. But I did catch the one where he turbo charged the dishwasher.

Reply to
Al Bundy