What's the deal with the heavily-advertized Dyson vacuum cleaners?

Page 1 of 3

Are the Dyson vacuum cleaners as good as they say they are?
Are they worthy of the tv-commercial air time? Or is this a case of "if you advertize it, they will buy" ?
Sum Guy wrote:

They are just trying to justify a high price. Some people will buy something just because it costs more.

Curious that you have such a strong opinion on something you don't own. Virtually all of the reviews from people that actually bought it are 4 and 5 stars (Dyson Animal). Google has a review consolidator - click on the "all reviews" link.
RicodJour wrote:

Are there any reviews by an objective, unbiased source (e.g., Consumer Reports)?
The cognitive dissonance problem with owner reviews of higher than usual priced stuff (e.g., Macs, Kirby vacuums, etc.) is that having spent the extra money, the buyer must now report how superior the product is lest he be seen as a sucker or even a fool...

And no one would be pissed off, feel that they had been screwed and leave a bad/horrendous review in retaliation? I find almost just the opposite in almost everything - people more readily leave bad reviews.
Of course there are 'unbiased' (everybody/thing has a bias) reviews. Consumerresearch.com reviews the reviews and is a pretty good first stop on such things.
And no one would be pissed off, feel that they had been screwed and leave a bad/horrendous review in retaliation? I find almost just the opposite in almost everything - people more readily leave bad reviews.
reply: I quit reading online reviews. They all looked like they were written by the same English major, and I could find very few negatives.
I'd rather ask the neighbors or friends, or come here.
Steve
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:21:24 -0400, Butch Haynes

Consumer reports is totally unbiased?????? I think not.
Pretty close - but there will ALWAYS be a bias.
And there are enough people in North America who will bitch about ANYTHING, as well as launch "frivalous" lawsuits. No bitching and no lawsuits would TEND to indicate better than average satisfaction.
Sure a lot od people bitched about Kirby and FilterQueen.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They are probably have a bias against price or cost. They seem to mechanize, automate, and use instrumentation recordings where possible. A db meter for noise. A mechanical actuator to measure pushing force when vaccuming. Measured amounts of dirt that are dumped on carpets and then weighed to see how much the vacuum actually picked up. Even a clean room with an airborne particulate counter to verify the hepa-filter claims (their conclusion is that even regular vacuums that don't claim to be hepa will work just as good as ones with "hepa" filters).
I've got a kenmore canister that's about 8 years old that I want to replace (the kenmore is being moved to a different location - not that it's not working anymore).
The durability and performance of the beater bar, extension tube, flex hose and handle are my primary concern, as those are the components that experience wear and tear. Any improvements to those components that result in less air leakage as those parts wear, wearing of rotating parts, breakage of thin plastic, etc, are what I would seek to know - if such things are actually knowable in this age of disposable products.
I've found that the Dyson claim of "never losing suction" to be a red herring. Even my 8-year-old kenmore can completely fill the disposable waste bag, indicating that it still has enough suction to pull material from the floor even when the bag is 100% full. And I prefer to throw a bag away vs dealing with dumping a canister. Noise level is also very important to me - my gut feeling is that the bagless units are louder.
Online consumer reviews are a mixed bag. They could be accurate and representative, or they could be biased (a tendency to compain vs praise) or they could be faked or planted by the manufacturer (or the competitor).
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My dad and a friend had a small side business selling Filter Queens. I grew up without the words "vacuum cleaner" in my vocabulary. I grew up calling it a Filter Queen as others grew up using the brand name Xerox for "copy machine". I recall using the words "Filter Queen" in school and nobody knew what I was talking about!
More recently my mother keeps buying vacuum cleaners, not liking them, and she gives them away and buys a different new one and it's still no good. She says she wishes she had her old Filter Queen, that was the best she ever used. I'd buy one on ebay and give it to her but she probably wouldn't like it anymore.
Tony wrote:

What is wrong with built-in vacuum? We always had it for years. Any how cleaners use it now, we seldom vacuum ourselves. I just empty the pan once in a while. I can tell when it needs emptying, motor pitch tells me.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Actually Mom did like her central vac best of all but where she is now we can't install one.
AND speaking of central vac's ...... A few weeks ago while taking my trash to "the dump" (about 30 dumpsters in a circle), where the watch dog employee puts large metal objects or things he thinks someone may like, I stopped to take a look. There was a practically new central vac! Since they started recycling steel, the "guard" didn't want me to take anything that large, but then he told me to take it but don't let anyone see me. I left with it and at home saw that inside where the dirt goes, was the manual, a few brand new filters, and very little dirt. It ran a little funny then I realized the one motor needed the brush holder fixed and a new brush. No problem, runs good now. Never saw the insides of one before and don't know if this is common, but the two fan motors are in series, physically, not electrically. Lots of suction! I think I may use it as a wood shop dust collector. It looks like it sold for $350 to $450 a year or so ago.

ROTFL
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:21:24 -0400, Butch Haynes

Excellent point.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:21:24 -0400, Butch Haynes

How about this? I OWNED a Kirby and thought it was absolutely excellent, although a bit pricey, and things such as the jig saw attachment were a bit silly. It was great as a vacuum cleaner and rug shampoo-er, though. Thirty years later, I wish I still had it. I bet it is still in like new condition, because my first wife, who got it in the divorce, never did a lick of housework in her life.
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:21:24 -0400, Butch Haynes wrote:

Rated #1 with a score of 73 is a Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary Edition U6485-900, price range of $186.99 - $253.54.
Best Dyson, DC28 Animal, is rated #12 with a score of 67, price $599.99.
Kuskokwim wrote:

I bought the Nov CR issue last night, but apparently it's not the issue that contains an indepth review of vacuum cleaners - just a table showing a handful of best performers. This is the Canadian version, and the special Canadian insert that shows the equivalent cdn models isin't even showing the correct model numbers.
I was going to buy a one-month access to CR's online website, but when I got to the point where I was filling out my CC information, it said that it was a _recurring_ one-month charge unless or until I cancelled it, which I immediately swore at them. They just lost some direct revenue because I wanted a one-time charge to my card, not to have to deal with cancelling it so I wouldn't be charged for a second (etc) month.
It would be nice if there was a code inside the CR magazine such that if you bought CR at the news stand that you could use the code to access the CR website for a limited time (one month?).
I purchased a Sears Kenmore "Elegance" model 23107 (black color) which is same as 23106 and 23105 (purple and yellow). The Elegance black model ($399 CDN, on sale) is the same as the US Ebony 28614 model ($288 USD). We get screwed up here in Canada over the exchange rate, seeing how the CDN dollar is almost at par with the USD.
All of the sears vacuum cleaners (including the really expensive "Blue" (US) or Intuition (Canada) have the same canister unit and beater-bar roller brush. The Blue/Intuition has a beater bar unit with a detachable hard-floor cleaning head, but all units have a small powered accessory head for cleaning stairs and furniture.
There's a lot of talk about suction and hepa, but it's all noise. How the beater-bar interacts with carpeting is where your real cleaning action is. All vacuums have enough suction to bring dirt/hair into the capture bag or container once it's been dislodged by the beater bar.
Sum Guy wrote

And just how long do you expect it would take before that ended up on the net ?

Not if you dont have carpet.

said:

I have never owned a Yugo, but I still know that they suck.
Scott in SoCal wrote:

Still driving the "Le Car"? ;-)
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:13:57 -0400, Tony wrote:

Hmm, I remember a friend having one of the Alpine turbo versions (not sure if they were ever sold in the US?) and it was a really fun car, particularly on twisty hillside roads :-)
Power output even without the turbo was twice that of the standard vehicle, though, so it was a reasonable power/weight ratio in something with a reasonably sort wheelbase...
cheers
Jules