What's the deal with the heavily-advertized Dyson vacuum cleaners?

OMIGAWD! I totally understood that he meant HEPA when he typed Hepa. What is wrong with me, and what should I be doing about it?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If I hit the lotto, I don't think I'd have a new vacuum on the list of priorities. I think all that overbuying is why a lot of lottery winners end up poor again. Have to have the latest greatest most expensive of everything, when a cheap one will do just as well.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Hmmm, What is wrong with built-in vacuum? We always had it for years. Any how cleaners use it now, we seldom vacuum ourselves. I just empty the pan once in a while. I can tell when it needs emptying, motor pitch tells me.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You're right. I'll just use my winnings to hire a maid instead .

Reply to
Lee B

"Lee B" wrote

Or TWO!

GMTA

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Opinions vary.

You're bitching about two or three bills for sunglasses? Sheesh. You really are out of the loop.

RicodJour

You do have a point. Advertising doesn't do anything. Sheesh^2.

RicodJour

Actually Mom did like her central vac best of all but where she is now we can't install one.

AND speaking of central vac's ...... A few weeks ago while taking my trash to "the dump" (about 30 dumpsters in a circle), where the watch dog employee puts large metal objects or things he thinks someone may like, I stopped to take a look. There was a practically new central vac! Since they started recycling steel, the "guard" didn't want me to take anything that large, but then he told me to take it but don't let anyone see me. I left with it and at home saw that inside where the dirt goes, was the manual, a few brand new filters, and very little dirt. It ran a little funny then I realized the one motor needed the brush holder fixed and a new brush. No problem, runs good now. Never saw the insides of one before and don't know if this is common, but the two fan motors are in series, physically, not electrically. Lots of suction! I think I may use it as a wood shop dust collector. It looks like it sold for $350 to $450 a year or so ago.

Reply to
Tony

On Sat 17 Oct 2009 07:34:47a, Sum Guy told us...

I can't speak to the advertising question, but I have a very close friend who bought the "ball" type Dyson model designed for pet hair. She's had it for over a year now and swears it's the best vacuum she's ever owned. She has two dogs.

I borrowed it for a weekend, as we have five cats, and I was curious how well it did. Before using it I thoroughly vacuumed our carpeting with our Bissell upright. I couldn't believe how much more cat hair and general dust and debris the Dyson picked up.

If I could afford one right now, I'd buy one.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

The maid is still going to need a vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
salty

Try the same experiment again, but use the Dyson first and then note how the Bissel then picks up a lot of what the Dyson missed, too.

Reply to
salty

Most of them were crashed before they ever got to that point ;-)

Reply to
Jules

Opinions vary.

You're bitching about two or three bills for sunglasses? Sheesh. You really are out of the loop.

Yeah, they don't carry those at the Dollar Store.

Reply to
SteveB

You do have a point. Advertising doesn't do anything. Sheesh^2.

SteveB

You do have a point. Advertising doesn't do anything. Sheesh^2.

No, it does work. Look what it did for FenFen and Hydroxycut. Dangerous chemicals, and people were buying them like candy. What would the rates at Geico REALLY be like if they didn't have dragsters making $40,000 runs, and $200,000 cars being totaled? I'd say it would be less. That's my point.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Textbook logic fallacy. You said just a bit earlier that if a business had a good product, people would know about it and they wouldn't have to advertise. The diet stuff you mention worked and worked well - unfortunately it had some side effects. Since it worked well, and there is a grapevine, the products would have still sold with or without advertising.

Stop Monday morning quarterbacking. It's Monday morning fer crissakes!

Businesses are in business to give _you_ the lowest cost and not give, or attempt to give, the stockholders the biggest bang and/or maximize profits? Right - makes perfect sense.

Businesses are about profit. Doing business with a business means you accept this. No one is holding a gun to your head. You don't like it, don't do business with that business - and don't whine about it. It's unseemly.

RicodJour

Textbook logic fallacy. You said just a bit earlier that if a business had a good product, people would know about it and they wouldn't have to advertise. The diet stuff you mention worked and worked well - unfortunately it had some side effects. Since it worked well, and there is a grapevine, the products would have still sold with or without advertising.

Stop Monday morning quarterbacking. It's Monday morning fer crissakes!

Businesses are in business to give _you_ the lowest cost and not give, or attempt to give, the stockholders the biggest bang and/or maximize profits? Right - makes perfect sense.

Businesses are about profit. Doing business with a business means you accept this. No one is holding a gun to your head. You don't like it, don't do business with that business - and don't whine about it. It's unseemly.

I KNOW what greases the wheels. I didn't just fall off a turnip truck. Ah, if I were only as smart as thou.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Whiners just like to whine.