Washer pan

I just bought a new home with a second floor laundry. I want to put in a drain pan for the washer. I see from the previous owner that the pike in the floor is below the floor & it looks like a piece of some kind of fitting is still on it. How can i add the pan to the pipe ? All the home centers have plastic pan's Also wouldn't a metal pan be better ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

What does your computer have to do with your washer?
mike wrote:

I guess he is really proud of his computer, he has had that sig file for some time now.
--
Home brew PC
Case is 10? years old

A computer running Vista is something to be proud of? He's so proud of it he's afraid to stress it too much by responding to, or thanking folks for answering his questions.
JawBone wrote:

All kinds ya know. Hell they even let me in here.

* I think the best way is to build it like a shower pan using ceramic tile.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Drill a hole for the pipe and seal it.

As long as it holds water, the material does not matter. Plastic won't corrode.

My plastic water heater pan lasted through two water heaters and was still good but my 3rd heater was too big for it. I gave it to someone at a hamfest.
More important than that would be stainless steel washing machine hoses or to turn the faucets off every time you finish doing the laundry.
desgnr wrote:

Sure, but make sure you know where the pipe goes. It may be an electrical conduit pipe that terminates at your breaker box.

Uh, no.