Taking apart a large transformer

Page 6 of 9  

wrote:

I did not know whether his transformer contained liquid, and neither did he. If nobody else had happened by to clarify, he may well have opened up a Pandora's box, so to speak. But, it doesn't matter at this point. Your only reason for being here is because you needed to vent some anger that came from somewhere else in your life.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I want to chime in.
I did know that the transformer was dry. Doug did not know that at the time he made his post. I feel that his warning was warranted, even though the facts that he did not know, obviated the need for his warning.
I personally would prefer to be informed of dangers, even though some of the warnings turn out to be irrelevant, as opposed to not being warned of dangers that "might" be actual.
This discussion of PCBs has been very enlightening to me and I thank both Doug amd "Me".
i
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
This just implies that he posted information without even knowing much about the subject matter. This wreaks of M II again. This is her style.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

At what point in this thread did I claim to be an expert? Let's simplify:
1) OP says he has a transformer. His question contains clues which make sense to people who know more than I do about transformers.
2) People who know more than I do have not yet joined the discussion, at the moment when I posted my first comment. Matter of fact, mine was the first response to his question.
3) I suggested he investigate further, which the OP (and a few observers) thought was a fair suggestion.
4) A number of people decided it was a good day to hurl insults because that somehow distracts them from their little, tiny pee-pees and their powerless lives.
Get it?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Give the UNIVERSE a break, and stop with the "Tommyboy Beno" type replys. You just can't admit that you posted, before thinking, and the rest of the UNIVERSE, caught you at it, and commented.
Me
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

It wouldn't have mattered WHAT I thought. Based on my slim knowledge of transformers, the information was enough enough for ME to know that his were not dangerous. Why is it such a problem for YOU that I suggested he be cautious for what.....4 hours until he knew a little more?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

...or...."NOT enough" - excuse the typo.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Off in my chunk of the universe his reply seemed reasonable even if better replies came along later. OTOH, you have come across as an asshole and have provided no information of any use at all.
--
B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail dot net
http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4 /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

here they come, and in droves. the wolves who have no information themselves to offer, but they smell blood....
aint the internet great!
randy
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
fuck off
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Kanter wrote:

substance, like for instance in the big cans up on the telephone poles and substations. I imagine this thing does not involve any PCB'sdue to the way he describes it as being in the open versus being submerged in an oily liquid
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Some others who have responded have indicated that the capacitors may contain PCBs. I simply threw out the other possibility because it's worth looking into, especially because knowledge costs nothing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Kanter wrote:

But the GUY who disassembled the transformers is okay, right?
Maybe there's PCBs. Maybe not. If there are PCBs, there might be enough to be detectable. If so, diluted 1-trillion-to-one in a nearby pond might be sufficient to give one fish a headache.
Bah! Who cares?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Actually, I'd like to know WHO the guy was, not how he is. Please provide a way of contacting him, since you seem to be privy to all the information surrounding this event.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Why not offer the whole thing to a scrap-metal dealer? When they melt it down they'll recover the different metals...

Yeah, remove any bolts, and start splitting the iron core segments apart (they are probably alternating meshed E and I pieces). Once you get the first few out the rest will come easier. I'd use an appropriately sized screwdriver and hammer...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hey moron! The copper is considered "mixed" copper and is worth about $0.02 per pound, if he seperates it all.
IOW: they don't want it.
<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Can I use this copper as a grounding wire?
i
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If you mean bury it? NO! It is insulated copper probably!
Polysol insulation will burn off, Polythermaleze will burn off with a lot of heat, Formel insulation will probably not come off with any fire. These coatings are usually made to withstand severe heat in use.
You could use it for a long wave antenae or how about a lightning collector to power that 25W bulb for a few seconds with the $100K in equipment to catch that once in a lifetime strike?...LOL
Wind a huge Tesla coil on your roof and show the neighbours your nuts! (or drop your pants when they are looking)
Can't this tranformer be used by somebody to generate a second 120V from a single phase 120V inverter? It sounds pretty beefy.
BTW: once you knock the wedge out of the coil form the laminations will be easier to get out. This keeps them from buzzing until the varnish and other impregnations go into it.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, I will use it as a grounding wire leading to the ground bar at my main panel.

What is that?

It has a lot of connectors. I ppulled another, isolation looking transformer (1:1) from the unit, will probably sell that.
This one looks like a multi voltage unit.

thanks for the tip!
i

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ignoramus22732 wrote:

I spent a multitude of hours as a kid taking stuff apart, including small transformers. (Dry types) Transformers are one of the least fun things to tear into.
With the size of the copper wire you say it has, it must have a high-amp output. Is it stepup or stepdown? If stepdown, it could possibly make a great custom arc or spot welder, or an electroplating supply.
Ken Grunke
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.