Fish tape question

Please forgive me for asking such a naive question. I need to pull three 6 gauge wires through a conduit. Let's say 3/4". Let's say I buy a fish tape. Do I need to fish all three wires together, or do I do it one by one? It seems that the former -- pull them all together -- is the way to go, but I want to double check.

Ignoramus22732

Yes. Pull them all at once. Pulling them one by one would give you problems. Also if you are replacing existing wireing you can use that to pull the new wire through.

Reply to
Ken

Reply to
Clark Griswold

I will have a fish tape. Bought a 125 ft greenlee on ebay. I will follow the procedure posted here for pulling (which involves stripping a bit of wire and bending it back). My question is, should there be a second person assisting by pushing wires in neatly. E.g., I would be pulling, and my wife would be leading/pushing the wires into the conduit to avoid kinks etc.

Ignoramus22732

Yes.

Reply to
John Hines

Wipe the wires with dish detergent to lube them. Have the second person guide them. Pushing does not always help as it can sort of kink them, but you don't want then catching on the lip at the end.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you will be using 3/4" conduit (Against my recommendation) you will need to strip the wires back about 6". Cut off a few strands and then wrap each conductor around the fishtape nice and tight using pliers. Tape it up neatly and lube generously.

If you were to just strip each wire and bend it back over the hook it will be too fat to get it into the conduit.

It will be easier pulling if you have someone pushing at the same time.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

Pull them all at once. You can probably do it without a fish tape if the run is fairly short without too many bends between pull points. Suck a nylon cord through the pipe with a vacuum to help you pull/push. One guy pulls, the helper pushes and keeps the wire coming straight. Tie your string about a foot up on the wire bundle, then half hitch it a few times along the rest and tape it into a bullet with duct tape. Cut that whole mess off when you get it pulled through.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Ignoramus22732

Easiest, imho, to tape them together and pull them all the same time.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Sounds like a good idea.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Don't use anything on wires that isn't designed to do so. Dish soup can by hydroscopic, and cause corrosion in the conduit. Use an approved wire-lube, but only if you need to.

imho,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Do you have other options?

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

I already bought a bunch of 3/4" conduits.

Ignoramus22732

All at once.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HaHaHa

Understood, but for emt, 3 is the max for 6awg. The 3 is for heat considerations, not ease and ablity to pull them.

Might be able to exchange for the next size up, 1". Plus I hop you have short runs, we just worked with hand banding 1", and being under

200# I was challenged. :-P

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME