Taking apart a large transformer

I dunno. I think that in reality, no one needs these things, a thought such as "would be nice to play with one" probably crosses minds of a few people, but not many of those actually want to acquire such a behemoth.

If you have a reasoned opinion otherwise, maybe you can suggest how I can try to find people who need it.

I live in Western suburbs of Chicago.

Ignoramus28225

This is Turtle.

Well if they are dry packs rip them apart.

Use a grinder on the welded seam and a hack saw on the coil packs. If you use a torch on the case you will get bad vapor from inside.

Check the capasitor out for being dry pack also . The same story for them.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Post an add in your local bargainmart or do a web search for tesla clubs in your area.

If you where in KY I'd buy it, I've been looking for a good deal on a older pole pig transformer and pole capacitors for a couple years. Handy if you want to make a rail gun or shrink quarters.

Reply to
Modat22

i keep seeing reviews and raves about this naturalisproducts.com and organiconline.com.sg . many people are discussing in beauty forums and magazines have positive reviews on this . but this thing ain't new, its been around for 20 years! anyone tried can feedback to me on exactly how good it is?

snipped-for-privacy@raterenterprise.com can anyone help me please, am looking for the local distributor or any shop selling the naturalis range of skin and body care products, from this company

. looking for this urgently. for those who have not come across it, its some foodbased anti-aging products. i googled for this and received result showing its available at
i need this urgently but shipping from singapore will take some time, if anyone is distributing this please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@raterenterprise.com urgently. i have a group of us looking to buy this. thanks!

Reply to
zest_fien

Amateur radio operators are often into doing interesting things with electricity. Wiring up the cat....stuff like that. Maybe he could mention it in a ham radio newsgroup.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks. I will post pictures if I do rip it apart!

Ignoramus28225

Maybe you would be interested in my capacitors then.

Ignoramus28225

Hmm link doesn't work for me.

Reply to
Modat22

They make them thinner. Most electrolytics are composed of aluminum foil (possibly embossed, to increase surface area) wound in a spiral with a paper which holds an electrolyte. The aluminum is anodized and the aluminum oxide layer (which degrades in storage, and can be replenished by reforming the cap - taking up the voltage to rated value slowly) is the dielectric which holds the charge.

Your capacitors are actually higher in energy density than a low voltage type, based on the last size/voltage/energy comparison I did.

Tim

Tim Williams

I might want those.

Can't say I have a use for the transformer though (even if I knew the ratings), it's just too big!

Tim

Tim Williams

See this thing has a big contactor in it. If it does you can sell that on ebay. Also look for large diode packs also a good ebay item. I know those caps will sell on ebay because I've bought a bunch just like those for amplifier projects. Hmm might have some big IGBT devices on there used in the frequency switching circuit another ebay item.

That transformer you can just chisel the windings off. Latter you might wind a new primary for say 220 and make a great welder or serious DC power supply.

Another use for that transformer would be for solar houses as a step up transformer for the battery racks.

Reply to
Modat22

Ignoramus28225 wrote: ...

They are electrolytic capacitors and use a carbon aerogel as one of the "plates". Aerogels have a very large surface area per volume.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Matonak

and another DUFUS chimes in............ where do these guys live, before they show up here and display their lack of knowledge.......Maybe we could send them a CLUE in the mail........

Me

Reply to
Me

Yes, I do know which type the OP has, and it IS a DRY type, and always has been. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out these things, even without hours, and hours, of DIRECT experience with ferroUPS equipment. If you don't know, just keep quiet, and the rest of the world, won't know, that you don't know. but if youinsist on opening your mouth, or typing out of your brain, you leave no doubt, that you don't know....

Me

Reply to
Me

Nice indeed, but it falls apart when using filenames with spaces in them :-O

Where did you get the convert utility from, it's not installed on my system and it's not on the install discs either, could you mail to me or post a url somewhere...

I've corrected the missing string encapsulations and are going through the script to make a little more HTML compliant, ie. add a and / and a few other bits, I'll post my version here when I'm finnished molestring it :-)

Regards

Morten

ps: You can mail me at mormordogs at zorland dot netdogs but please take out the dogs first, they need attention to :-)

Reply to
Morten

Yes, definitly "Reactionay" in that you had NO Knowledge of the transformer in question, and when others explained that ALL these used in a FerroUPS, are DRY transformers, you still insist telling the world, your prepositioned agenda. Actually, some of US do know exactly what transformer the OP has, and what type it is, and that it doesn't have anything to do with PCB's. Now, do you know what PCB stands for, or is this another area that you knowledge base doesn't cover?

Me

Reply to
Me

Thanks, that makes complete sense. I also thought that X farad at 12 V vs. Yfarad at 250 V cannot be compared, what really matters (for some applications) is how much energy they can store for rated voltage.

Ignoramus28225

What does that contactor do? What is it?

Thanks. Yes, I will pull it apart and try to sell various parts that I do not need.

I am pretty fascinated by the idea of having my own welder. Since there are many windings on this transformer already, it just might have one low voltage winding, and with a few big ass diodes I would have a serious DC power source.

I am now making a subpanel in my garage, so, it would all fit with having my own welding machine. Of course, I need to learn a lot about what is involved in welding equipment. Great idea.

That would not be for me...

All in all, great thoughts!

Ignoramus28225

Great point. Look at 'system' call invocation, you can put single quotes around the filenames.

It is a part of the ImageMagick package.

Cool, wonderful!

Ignoramus28225

Its a big relay, a solenoid actuated switch (sorta)

You'll probably have to wind another primary sized for the welding load.

On the secondary side you might be using something like #4 or bigger wire, and you'll have to add an inductor.

Look around on the web you should be able to use that transformer form for something really cool and dangerous

Reply to
Modat22