Taking a pushfit apart - Grrr!

Just bought these pushfit tap connectors from Toolstation -

which someone in another thread told me were demountable but, having had a fiddle with them, I can't see how they would be.

I've previously used the white JG speedfit fittings (the white one in the pic) where the collar slides back towards the body of the fitting. That doesn't happen with these red ones I've just got. The collar just wobbles about a central axis running between the two slots. (See green arrows on pic.)

So does anyone know whether this other variety really is demountable and, if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Mick6

Have you tried them with a pipe? I would expect that once a pipe is in place you would be able to pull the red bit toward the body of the fitting to release it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes they are. You push the red bit towards the fitting. But only with a pipe in! [You can't demount a pipe which isn't there, anyway!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

DO NOT use pushfit fittings. They are big trouble. Use brass compression joints.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you post to Usenet as "Drivel".

Only if you post to Usenet as "Drivel".

You forgot to add, "Don't use a hacksaw to cut plastic tube."

Reply to
Steve Firth

Please eff off as you are a complete plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I would add further, "Don't even use a hacksaw to cut copper tube"

Reply to
Roger Mills

Good advice. This loon uses a hammer to cut pipe.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Stick a scrap of pipe in and try it. The pipe will prevent the wobble and allow you to apply the force evenly to open up the grip ring. On the JG ones the grip ring is mounted in the plastic bit so doesn't wobble in the same way.

auctions

Well I suppose in dribble land that is progress of sorts... quite why you progressed from a hacksaw to a hammer after all the times we told you how to do it properly however is a mystery.

Let me guess, your pushfit fittings still leak after you have cut the pipe with a hammer, and that is still the fault of the fittings?

You know dribble, it is probably safer if you give up trying to do practical stuff since it is obviously beyond you. Why not just become an armchair "expert" instead?

Reply to
John Rumm

Plank, don't suppose as you will always get it wrong.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Kind of you to say so... I don't suppose I will always get it wrong either.

Reply to
John Rumm

Any time Plank.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

Plant eff a are you off pot.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You should use pushfit. Please use them. Replace all your joinsts with pushfit now.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Only English spoken here.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Please eff off.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Is "f*ck" another word you are unable to spell?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Please eff off as you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried it with a pipe, and it really doesn't operate as well as other pushfits. The red collar doesn't slide in evenly and you have to use quite some force to drag the pipe out again. I guess technically that makes it demountabele but will all the grinding and scraping, it just doesn't sound like you're doing a good job.

The reason I was asking (apart from the obvious desire not to bugger up a new fitting) is that we're replacing the bathroom soon but need to do some running repairs, so I was looking for a reusable solution.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Mick6