Social Security Number

Page 6 of 11
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 14:30:25 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

Moron, neither my opinion, Ed's, nor yours matters. What matters is the opinion of the hiring entity. It's important for *THEM*. Your sorry ass loses (to be expected for a loser).

Funny how over the last 30+ years, I had people coming to Me with offers and not the other way around. Must suck to be so part of the herd that you actually need to make an effort to distinguish yourself
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 16:58:27 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

Now you're lying. You just said you haven't been through the hiring process since 1971.
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 16:58:27 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

get it. Actuallly it was offered and I turned it down.
Service manager job. The last question he asked was how much I needed to take the job. I said if I'm not worth $40,000 to him within 6 months, I'm not the man for the job. He said service mangers don't make 40Gs - I told him he was talking to one who did, and earned every cent. Then I told him to keep looking, and keep advertising for a new service manager every 6 to 9 months like he had been for the last 3 years.
Most times it was more them applying to hire me.
On 6 Dec 2012 21:44:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

Having been the hiring entity for a number of years, my opinion matters. I don't ask for the SS# up front.

...and your point is? You don't have one.
On 12/6/2012 10:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You don't understand that you are dealing with the self imagined smartest person in the world who for some reason can only communicate at a childish name calling level.

He's now dealing with the dumbest person on the Usenet, George.
On 6 Dec 2012 18:13:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

I've been hiring people for the past 40 years. While it used to be SOP to have the SS#, it has not been for years now. You?

That's interesting? You say it used to be asked for, but hasn't now for years. What caused the change? And how could you possibly know what all other employers are or are not doing all over the country?
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 04:35:54 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I said, it used to be SOP, but is not now. That does not mean that some companies do not still ask for it. I don't know what every employer does, but I do know what some do and don't do.
What changed? Identity theft and security of personal information. As this became more of a problem, enlightened employers decided to change their methods. Some states used to use your SS for your driver's licence number also. It certainly seems an easy thing to do, but I know at leas MA stopped doing it.

*ALL* do, it's just a matter of when in the process. I found that it was quite early in the hiring process. Of course they ask again for the I-9.

That's an entirely different issue.
On 8 Dec 2012 05:03:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

Of course, if hired they ask for it. They have to. No disputed that.

No, that is why many places no longer ask for the SS and is why many of us would not give it until needed.
On 12/8/2012 12:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It seems you missed the idea that the expert on everything knows more than people who have actual experience doing stuff?

God, you're dumber than a stump!

They also need it for pre-employment screening and such.

No, it is *completely* different. Employers don't print it on your business cards.
Just remember kids, the only job that you don't need to prove your citizenship is the POTUS. ;-)

I did at one time. The campus check cashing service required it (it was also the student ID number).

mandated by the Feds. They still can require you give it, but they can no longer put it on the DL as your license number. FWIW, MCare was ordered to do the same thing years ago and hasn't quite gotten around to it yet. They still use SSN as your account number.. which makes it too easy for the scammers to file false bills.

Once you offer employment. Up to that time, it is against the law to ask for DOB. You can ask if a person is over 18 or over 21 if the job requires you be of that age.