Professionals Reply Only

Page 4 of 4

wrote in message

Yes Ed, it's completely your fault, and I wish you'd cut it out.
What I'm saying is that many years ago, there was professional quality and garbage, no middle ground. Today, because many people are handy, and actually use tools, there is mostly middle ground, and very few truely professional grade power tools. Eventually, the quality of the middle ground tools will give way to cheaper and cheaper prices, until they will become garbage. Then some brilliant company will once again introduce a professional grade line of tools, at a high price, and start the cycle over again

RBM wrote:

Back in 1973 I worked for an electrical parts distributer that was a Black and Decker dealer. We sold two different B&D 1/4" drills, no cordless back then. One drill sold for $100.00 and the other sold for $10.00. The reason being the problem of tools on construction sites often evolve and grow legs for some odd reason and the damn things keep running away. B&D sold the $10.00 drills for the contractors who tired of the high cost of run away tools. At the end of the job, they would toss the $10.00 drill into the junk pile and buy more for the next job. So there is a place in the professional work place for those cheap toys from Harbor Freight.
[8~{} Uncle Monster

I really don't buy into that. Years ago, Black and Decker made top quality professional grade tools. They cost a pile of money and worked great and lasted forever. A professional cannot use a $10 tool, they simply don't get the job done. I think, for B&D, the cheap tool market became to lucrative for them , so that was the market they focused on>

quality

and

don't get

lucrative

Hi, in Germany B&D was considerd a household item until around in the 80s workshops found they had had this cheap ugly green and red machine for years with no trouble. They earned a good reputation , now B&D started putting LEDs and stuff in their handdrills, a pity. Bosch comes in two colours green= household, LEDs and all, blue = pro Blue Bosch is upper third in quality, just below Festool, and sometimes equals makita. But really every top brand stands for some average and some very good maschines, like Festool, Flex, Fein, Kress, Mafell , Hilti , Milwaukee. Sometimes all the reputation stems from one standard machine in one trade and it doesnt mean the other stuff is really worth the high price. I understand the"professional only" in the post: when the amateur finds out he got himself a durable fine maschine it is out of production for five years the min and the producer has been sold twice in this time . Better look what they have in professional rental places and ask them, these people really know. And- they will not be chauvinist but professional ie know quality no matter whats on the label. ed wolf, prejudiced professional
eduart wolf wrote:

I love my Bosch "Blue" jig saw and Hammer Drill. I love my Milwaukee Sawz All, Hole Hog and 1/2" corded drill that has almost as much torch as the Hole hog. I love my Porter Cable 14.4 cordless drill, belt sander, orbital sander, 3 nail guns,4 routers,2 circular saws, 12" Miter Saw and many others I have forgot. I love my Dewalt little 12 volt 1/2" drill and 10" Sliding Miter Saw. My Hilti power nailer. I did have a Fein Router and it fell apart, think I just got a lemon but because of that first experience I will probably never buy another Fein...
Your right each tool manufacture seems to have it's specialties and my choices above prove that. But all and all I'm most impressed with Porter Cable, I doubt I will be able to say this in a few years.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
RBM wrote:

I have the expensive tools for me and the cheap ones to loan out. Get it? If someone wants to use my expensive tools, I come with them and it costs $65.00 - $100.00 per hour to borrow us. *snicker* BTW My older B&D power tools match the DeWalt tools. Perhaps because B&D owns DeWalt and Borged all of their heavy duty and industrial tools into DeWalt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_&_Decker
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Uncle Monster wrote:

Simple don't lend any tools out. It's my livelihood. I would not ask a lawyer to borrow his law books.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
RBM wrote:

A cheap tool does not last and I don't have the time to replace it with another cheap ass tool. TIME IS MONEY!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Professional what? Cross dresser? Is that what you think this typewriter-with-a-tv-screen thing is for?
Get over yourself. Welcome to the IntarWeeb.
evodawg wrote:

If you want a PROFESSIONAL opinion, you should really ask such questions on alt.hvac.
The good folks over there will be more than willing to give you an opinion. Many of them have one year's experience twenty times.