Plywood that looks like beadboard?

Hi, List. Is anyone familiar with a plywood product suitable for decking (i.e., a roof) that is engineered to resemble beadboard?

I'm getting ready to build an old-fashioned porch (awning) over part of a large patio. Rather than a finished ceiling, it will be open underneath to expose the rafters, etc. I want to look at something better than plywood, so I was looking at heavy tongue-and-groove planking for the deck. (The top side of this would take the shingles.) However, a builder mentioned a plywood product that resembles tongue-and-groove planking.

I've been to a couple of lumberyards and neither had heard of this. One showed me lightweight (3/4 inch) tongue-and-groove paneling which looked OK for finish work, but not to carry the weight of a roof.

Anyone heard of something like this?

Thanks!

Mark

Reply to
gulph

shingles.)

A couple of things. Check out this recent thread

on the length of roofing nails in a shed with exposed rafter tails.

3/4" T&G paneling (it's not clear whether you mean sheet goods or 1x planks) would certainly be strong enough for your roof. R
Reply to
RicodJour

He may have been talking about T-111 siding. I'm not certain of the thicknesses it comes in as I only used the 1/2" for the sides of a shed but it's something you might look into. Lowe's and HD carry it as well as other's I'm sure. Another option would be to use regular ply and come back with T&G wainscotting (I can't think of the actual name). Basically comes in strips like hardwood flooring and you could tack that up to the underside. Has a beaded profile. It's like 3/8" thick and pretty lightweight. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

You saw a 3/4 board and it is not thick enough? what do you think you need.

Reply to
m Ransley