Q re. water hammer arrestor vs. air chamber

Have few questions about the above mentioned. In residential construction, which one is preffered ? From what I red, arrestors cost more and are more likely to fail after certain time (mechanical device), chambers have to be "recharged" overy once in a while (how often?) Seems to me that chambers would be better, and cheaper - am I right? Also, at what points do the need to be installed? Is there a rule, ie. every fixture, or just end of the run - both hot and cold? Also, is the chamber supposed to be same size as the pipe or can it be smaller (ie should i use 3/4" chamber on 3/4" piping, or 1/2" is good enough? thanks to all.

martin

Reply to
Martin

I find that air chambers need recharged every 3 to 6 months, depending on water pressure. Suoix Chief makes very good spun copper shock arrestors that last ten or more years. Get them.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch