OT Windows 10

Page 3 of 11

I have WinXP Solitaire on Win10. I often play Las Vegas 3-card draw with cumulative scoring. Tells me how my mind is working. Like you I don't see ads - anywhere. In fact I don't see any reference to Cortana or Edge on the Start Menu. The start menu has only my apps, and Win apps of my choice. I've permanently removed the bundled apps that came with Win10 using the Powershell. There's instructions on the net how to customize just about everything Win10. You gain about 1 gig by removing them. I haven't kept good stats, but it appears that Win10 is slimmer than Win7-8 by multiple gigs. That's always my goal with any OS, since I image a lot, and with Win10 my images and restores run in under 2 minutes. Fast imaging means you don't resist doing it. My Win10 looks like Win7, which looked like WinXP. So far I've gone from tepid to pleased with it. Of course, I've spent some hours tweaking it.
On 08/02/2015 09:51 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Perhaps many (most?) people still have contract phones, but we are doing fine with a couple of no-contract Google Nexus 4 phones on T-Mobile for $30 per month each.

And a year or two back I read a piece that suggested that if you talk up Apple products (for example) on Facebook, the next time you go looking for a new Mac online, you may see higher prices than someone who is not known to be an Apple fan.
Perce
| And a year or two back I read a piece that suggested that if you talk up | Apple products (for example) on Facebook, the next time you go looking | for a new Mac online, you may see higher prices than someone who is not | known to be an Apple fan. |
Weird stuff. I don't really see any of that because I block nearly all tracking aside from sites that might try to keep track of unique IPs. But I do hear stories. I imagine the companies are probably trying to play it down as much as possible. They don't want people getting frightened because they see a dandruff shampoo ad every time they scratch their heads.
I had an interesting lesson in that recently from my neice who's in tech. She uses Facebook and just about everything else one could think of: Foursquare... Twitter... But she was complaining about customized search -- how she and a friend could put the exact same search terms into Google at the same moment and get very different results. Before that I hadn't thought about how much the tracking is warping what the Internet actually is for the people using it. With just a few exceptions like Wikipedia, people are dealing with commercial entities that are watching them in real time and trying to be what those people might want to buy.
On 08/02/2015 01:52 PM, Mayayana wrote:

It is a little spooky. If I go to news.google.com there is the 'Suggested for You' stuff. Tonight it's telling me Steve Earle is playing Tuesday at World Cafe live in Philadelphia. Fine and good but I'm more interested in when he'll be playing here next week. It also told me about Sinead O'Connor's free download of 'Foggy Dew'. I like the song and will grab it but from the preview I prefer the version she did with the Chieftains years ago.
At least the news items seem to be random and somewhat puzzling at times, but who knows?

After 8's poor reception, this is a very important release. Apple is set to release OS X El Capitan and there might be some marginal utility in beating them out the door although I really doubt it. Then there is the back to school market. Send your kid to school with a shiny new Win10 laptop. In the past MS has even managed to screw up the Christmas market and Nadella needs to show he can dance better than Ballmer.
On 8/1/2015 4:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That is hiding it, not removing it. I also noticed that it slows down boot time.
On 08/01/2015 12:45 AM, J0HNS0N wrote:

I don't know why it didn't show up on the desktops, but part of 10's rationale is to make it work better on tablets. The first Service Release is aimed at improving battery life along with bug fixes. After the Windows RT fiasco, MS really wants to be a major tablet player.

Actually once I got used to W8.1 on this tablet I didn't find it all that bad. But then I just use it for light stuff (email, browsing, Usenet, news, etc.).
If I had a complaint it would be the Metro side. But not the OS. I find many of the Metro apps of poor quality and the store with a poor selection. Hopefully they will improve on that.
The desktop side works fine. Which is good because I need it for my legacy programs. With the physical keyboard locked to the tablet it's almost exactly like my last netbook (EeePC) which I liked a lot.
alt.home.repair:

I don't agree. Windows 8.1 works quite well, and with the use of a Start Menu replacement such as Classic Shell, it operates almost the same as Windows 7. I see no advantage with Windows 10, and there one SERIOUS, SERIOUS (for me, anyway) disadvantage: you have no control over when and how it updates itself. At any time, no matter what you may be doing, the computer can decide to download and apply a large, disruptive major update and force you to reboot the computer. This is unacceptable to me.
I see no reason to upgrade and several reasons to not do so. The upgrade will not improve my life in any way.
On 7/29/2015 8:25 PM, Nil wrote:

It will not force you to reboot in the middle of your work AFAIK.
You do have a strong opinion for something you've never seen though. Your choice, keep 8.1 forever.
On 7/29/2015 9:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Just checked. You can schedule a restart. That takes away your main bitch.
On 7/29/2015 9:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep, I have been on the Insider program, so have been using the released version for the past week or so, if typically, at least for me schedules the reboot at 3am, but that can be changed.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
| Just checked. You can schedule a restart. | That takes away your main bitch.
Assuming one doesn't mind having a computer with an OS that can change at any time, and you have no control over it. Win10 is a whole new approach -- a services device. It's not just a case of Windows Update being stuck to "on".
alt.home.repair:

You can postpone some versions of Windows, but you cannot delay the download and you will be forced to reboot eventually, and not necessarily at your convenience.

You should not assume I've never seen it. I have.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

W10 is becoming like Apple Mac. W8 can have classic desk top easily. I am going to wait a bit B4 I try W10.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/29/2015 9:37 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Have you used W8? Most users dislike it. W7 is very good and there is no compelling reason to upgrade from it. W8 is a mess to find things.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have one W8.1 my wife uses. A MSI laptop. I installed Classic desktop for her and it is business as usual. She can switch back and forth between Metro desktop and Classic desktop. My laptop is ASUS ROG with W7 ultimate. On mobile we use iPADs.
alt.home.repair:

Windows 10 is just as much of a "mess" to find things as 8. If you like the way Windows 7 is organized, than 10 is even more of a mess, as it's less like 7 than was 8.
On 07/29/2015 09:38 PM, Nil wrote:

While it's true Microsoft can't grasp that the users want the real Start Menu back, 10 can't possibly be worse. At least it doesn't have that stupid 'charms' crap that I never can trigger.