OT: Steering wheel

Page 6 of 16
On 3/30/2016 2:45 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Not so easy on snow or ice. Why go from a dead start on a slippery road when it is easier to keep momentum and easier and safer to see.

Your drive was better gritted than your road?!
And get an automatic, they don't wheelspin.
--
A woman brought an old picture of her dead husband, wearing a hat, to the photographer. She wanted to know if the photographer could remove the hat from the picture.
He convinced her he could easily do that, and asked her what side of his head her husband parted his hair on.
On 3/30/2016 5:25 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I have an automatic. Evidently you don't drive on ice much.

My previous car was an automatic and it was very good at ice and snow. If the wheels began to spin, it would simply engage a higher gear (and very smoothly so using the torque converter), reducing the power output of the engine. Of course you had to have the sense not to put your foot to the floor. Having said that on one occasion I found that to be quite useful. I had to get up a steep hill with a foot of freshly fallen snow. Everyone kept getting stuck. I simply put my foot to the floor and went up the hill at about 20mph, although the speedo read over 100. The snow was flung to the sides by the spinning wheels as I went up and I formed a nice track. When I got to the top, I parked the car and got out, then saw a line of cars following the tracks I'd made. Three of them mouthed "thanks" and waved. If any pedestrians had got in the way, they would have received a smack in the mouth with a 100mph snowball :-)
--
Mary had a little sheep
She took it to her bed to sleep

You still wasting time and breath on the "parrot"??
Of course he hasn't driven much on ice. I don't think, personally, he has driven much, period..
An automatic with all speed traction control, possibly with posi as well, and good snow tires will not spin easily. But then again, I doubt our Limey friend is driving a Mondeo Ghia.

I've driven since 1997, commuting long distances, going on holiday abroad, and driving for a living. To morons that haven't driven so much, or just follow the rules and never think for themselves, what I say may be so complicated for your little brains that you think it's nonsense.

What part of "changes up a gear itself" didn't you understand?
--
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer

Every time here with all 3 vehicles. It is easier to <safely> back into an empty driveway than to back into the street. DuH!

No, it's easier to back into a bigger space. And most importantly when reversing into a drive, you may inconvenience others when you stop and they have to go round you. When reversing out, you can wait until it's clear.
--
How do you scare a man?
Sneak up behind him and start throwing rice.
On 3/30/2016 8:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Depending on the street and traffic, direction of travel. If you have to back across a 2 lane with cars and trucks moving at 50 mph, it is more dangerous than pulling out with full control and accelerating as needed.
The ideal situation is to be able to turn around in your driveway so both can be done driving forward.

Then why is it so hard to back into your driveway. I can do it with a 20' pontoon boat and weave it between 2 other vehicles.

It's clearly hard for some people considering how bloody slow they do it while I'm trying to get past.
Anyway the main point is you are in somebody's way while you're doing it.
--
My wife was hinting about what she wanted for our upcoming anniversary. She said, 'I want something shiny that goes from 0 to 150 in about 3 seconds.'
So I bought her a set of scales.

But since you can sit in your driveway until both ways are clear, there's no problem reversing out. If traffic is that busy, when you come home you have to stop with cars behind you and reverse in, they're now in your way and cursing you.
--
Why do sailors have tattoos on their backs?
So their shipmates will have something to read.
On 31/03/2016 13:28, Mr Macaw wrote:

No they aren't, you just pull over and wait until the road is clear.
--
Bod

No, if you stop on the road, you are blocking your lane. I'm talking about a road wide enough for two cars.
--
For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

On 31/03/2016 13:57, Mr Macaw wrote:

Well I've never had any problems reversing in before.
--
Bod

You don't live on a busy road. I would never reverse off a busy road and hold people up.
--
"Oh god," sighed the wife one morning, "I'm convinced my mind is almost completely gone!"
Her husband looked up from the newspaper and commented,
On 31/03/2016 14:23, Mr Macaw wrote:

The road we lived in before for 28 years was quite busy. I had no problem there.
--
Bod

What happened to the cars driving along behind you when you stopped ready to reverse in?
--
Japanese scientists have created a camera with a shutter speed so fast, they can now photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

On 31/03/2016 14:51, Mr Macaw wrote:

I pulled up half on the pavement, half on the road.
--
Bod

Just aswell you didn't just say that in the cycling group, they would be on at you for trespassing on the pavement and endangering invisible pedestrians who weren't there but you might not have seen.
--
I just sent my lawyer something for his birthday. Unfortunately, he wasn't home when it went off.