OT: Steering wheel

Page 2 of 16

How come this law?
"However, there is a law against using them for construction vehicles that haul and handle materials."
--
You know, sometimes I get the sudden urge to run around naked.
But then I just drink some Windex. It keeps me from streaking.

Perhaps OSHA doesn't want "handicapped people" hauling hazardous materials?
Actually, I don't see an outright ban on them, but I just skimmed over the clauses.
1926.602(c)(1)(iv) Steering or spinner knobs shall not be attached to the steering wheel unless the steering mechanism is of a type that prevents road reactions from causing the steering handwheel to spin. The steering knob shall be mounted within the periphery of the wheel.
--
RonNNN

Ah, so something to do with driving your construction vehicle on a rough track and your hand getting broken when the wheel suddenly moves. Much like don't put your thumbs on the inside of the 4x4 steering wheel when going offroad.
--
I failed my audition as Romeo through a misunderstanding over a stage direction. In my script it clearly said, "Enter Juliette from the rear."

In New York State, however, a doctor's prescription for a spinner now must be submitted to the NYSDMV, which in turn, shows that the knob is "required" on all vehicles the user drives and such requirement is entered on the user's drivers license. There is a USA federal labor law restricting their use for specific construction vehicles; although hydraulic driven power steering vehicles may not fall under this category
For forklifts: The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) publication B56.1-2004 (and previous ANSI versions), Safety Standard for Low Lift and High Lift Trucks, addresses modifications to trucks and the use of spinner knobs.
Paragraph 4.2.1 requires modifications which may affect the safe operation of the truck be approved in writing by the truck manufacturer.
Paragraph 4.2.8 requires a spinner knob to be used with steering mechanisms that prevent road reactions to cause the steering wheel to spin where one handed operation is required and gives technical installation specifications.
Paragraph 4.2.9 allows the optional use of a spinner knob with steering mechanisms that prevent road reactions to cause the steering wheel to spin and gives technical installation specifications.
Similar paragraphs will likely be found in the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) publication CAN-B335-04, Safety Standard for Lift Trucks. People in other countries should consult their national engineering standard organization such as BSI, SAA, SNZ, etc. for similar publications.
With the exceptions of stand up operated forklifts designed for one hand operation and the accommodation of a counterbalanced truck for a disabled person, I can't think of a good reason for the use of a spinner knob. Controls for lift, tilt, side-shift, and automatic fork positioning, etc. should not be operated while the truck is in motion. Activities such as eating, drinking, using a radio, using a cell phone, etc. should also be prohibited while the truck is in motion. Both operator's hands, excluding the above exceptions, should be on the steering wheel while in motion.
Due to the poor lateral stability of forklifts (especially when not carrying a load), I would not recommend spinner knobs for normal use. I see spinner knobs as a prelude to a lateral overturn.
Also: Clark Material Handling Company on its web site specifically states Clark will not approve spinner knobs on hand steering wheels.
You should check with your truck manufacturer to see if they have a similar policy.
Installing a spinner knob without the manufacturer's approval poses a very real legal liability as you are making a modification to the truck which affects safety.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

<snip a lot of the small print>
The point is, the government has not made it illegal to have a suicide knob, barring a few restrictions for some commercial applications.
--
RonNNN

.. an absolute necessity for the old WheelHorse .. :-)
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?pX662&cat=2,2160,40710
I seem to remember that the old-timey ones had girly-pictures ... ? maybe just wishful thinking .. John T.
--- ---
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com says...

You are absolutely right! And I remember a lot of "scripto" cigarette lighters that had girly-pictures in them too!
--
RonNNN

Then the bloody things did that feminism shit.
--
Two blondes are racing down a bumpy back road in a pretty beat up car down to a bank they're going to rob.
"Drive slower" pleads the one in the passenger seat, "I don't want all the nitro in the boot to explode."

I remember Calenders with girly-pictures too! Now all you can get is pictures of kittens and hot-rods!
--
RonNNN

Except apparently in New York you are only allowed to have one if it is "required"
Able bodied kid is not allowed to install one on his WRX hotrod.

Stop fantasising.
--
The first Harley Davidson motorcycle built in 1903 used a tomato can for a carburetor.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

Did you read this from the link I posted?
"New York No rules against knobs in New York's laws. NY Vehicle Code New York requires an aid on the steering mechanism if handicapped. Handicap Law"
--
RonNNN

You read it one way. I read it another.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

Seems pretty clear to me. No laws against it, but required if handicapped. Nowhere does it say you "have to be handicapped" to have one.
--
RonNNN

He read it. You read it incorrectly. A requirement to do something if you're disabled does not mean you can't do it if you're not.
--
A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, there's nobody home."
I went over. Nobody was home.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 20:41:27 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

When I was in my 20's I put one of them on my steering wheel. I did not even know there was any laws regarding them. They were sold at the local auto parts store, so I thought they were legal.
A cop pulled me over for a burnt out taillight or some small thing, and when he saw that knob, he told me it was illegal, and he could not let me drive the car until it was removed. I reached in my glove box, pulled out a phillips scrwdriver and removed it right in front of him. He told me not to put it back on, and let me go.
I do NOT see them sold in auto parts stores anymore, but farm supply stores sell them for tractors. I put one on one of my tractors, and when the steering wheel suddenly spun backwards because the front tires got into a rut, that damn spinner smashed my fingers and hurt like hell. I removed it, and will never use one again on anything!
On 03/21/2016 08:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Did the cop make you fix the taillight immediately too? Seems like a burned out taillight is more hazardous than a wheel spinner.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 02:43:58 -0600, moderator

Nope, just told me to get the t-lite fixed....

And hazardous to others. The spinner can only harm him. The law should never protect someone from themselves.
--
"TWA 2341, for noise abatement turn right 45 Degrees."
"Centre, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?"

Land of the free eh? Endanger YOURSELF and the government pokes their nose in.