OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Unless there is some physical difference, like one has a lack of water so you have laws about washing your car, then there is no need for differing laws.

But we're seperate countries. The USA is one country with different laws in different parts of it. A right royal fuckup.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yes, and that language is English. And it's already happening courtesy of the internet.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Maybe we should use population as an indication? Would you like instructions on the how/when/why of *bowing*?

Reply to
Don Y

Actually, I drive a 1.5 liter Toyota. Back in the day, I drove an Austin-Healey but those are history from the last century. Some of my friends drove MGs. That marque lives on and I understand the Chinese even sent the kits to Britain to be assembled for old times sake.

I do like some of the new Thairumph bikes though.

Reply to
rbowman

You would go far in the states. I imagine what you think right closely corresponds to the laws unless you're very familiar with the living arrangements at HMP Perth.

Reply to
rbowman

Yes. The number of hours spent on "housework" has remained constant; regardless of the number (and cost!) of "labor saving" devices introduced.

Tasks that were not considered part of "normal" housework crept into the list (when floors were made of dirt, I don't imagine they got washed AND waxed often! :> ). And, still other "labor saving" devices just altered the character of the labor but didn't really "save" any.

E.g., we have a honking big "juicer" that we use for our citrus. Definitely a labor saver -- in terms of elbow grease. *But*, it needs to be cleaned after use -- as the pulp gets trapped in the places that are *supposed* to trap it, you can't just drop it in a dishwasher but, instead, need to clean it by hand. And, if you don't want the stainless to spot, it must be dried by hand. Then, reassembled and stored.

Of course, it also clogs *while* juicing. So, you must disassemble it and do a cursory cleaning frequently. And, shut down the motor while you're doing that -- which means waiting for it to spin up, again, later.

Look at how long it takes to write a simple memo! And, how many times it gets *printed* (proofs) before it gets distributed -- in our PAPERLESS offices! Do you see better grammar in those? Or, fewer typographical errors? I.e., isn't that what all those composition tools are *supposed* to address??

Closer to home: look at the advances in 4G languages (compared to earlier purely procedural languages). All the mechanisms that are supposed to make it easier to write *better* ("more correct") programs. Yet, programmer productivity remains astonishingly low and code quality equally poor. The only thing that has "improved" is the size of executables (if you consider "getting bigger" to be an improvement :> )!

Reply to
Don Y

You lack of knowledge of the US is showing. Fifty states over many thousand miles there are many physical differences. Our government was set up to give the states some independence also.

You are all part of the EU and the same continent. A very similar origin as the states came about at different times. It would only be a Royal fuckup if we had a Queen's ass to kiss like GB does.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, we don't have royal fuckups; that's your specialty.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm amazed by the number of kitchen gadgets to do the tasks I accomplish with a well worn Old Hickory French knife. They've dropped the pattern but iirc it cost seven bucks.

Reply to
rbowman

I think the most *effective* "kitchen gadget" that I've *found* (and, coincidentally *purchased*) in the past ~30 years were "artichoke stands".

BTW, if you ever see an artichoke in bloom, you'd probably lament each one that you *ate* (PRIOR to bloom!).

Reply to
Don Y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 21:39:09 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

So only Scotland is a normal country? At any rate, the surname Clare is NOT particularly French, although it's origins may trace back to the Normans as indicated below (from wikipedia)

Clare is a surname of English origin. The name is also prevalent among families of Irish origin, and there is a Clare County, Clare Island and River Clare in Ireland which attests to a long historical relationship with those places. The name was likely derived from the titular de Clare first held by Richard fitz Gilbert, a Welsh lord from a Norman family. Or from surnamedb.com:

Last name: Clare

This most interesting and ancient surname, with its long association with the British nobility, has three possible origins. It may be Olde English and derive from the pre 8th century word 'cleare' which translates as 'bright or clear' and as such was applied to various rivers and a Manor in the county of Suffolk. A second possibility is French, from a place called Clere in Normandy and first recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book of England, whilst the third is baptismal from the French 'Claire' or the Latin 'Clara' which themselves translate as 'bright of fair'. The original spelling forms were Clere, Clarae, Clara, Clare, and Clair(e), however there is some confusion in that in the early days the surnames were almost always proceeded by the French preposition 'de', although by the 16th century its use had almost died out. Irish nameholders also trace their heritage from the same sources, Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke, and better known as 'Strongbow' was the great leader of the Anglo-Norman Invasion of Ireland in 1170. The primary source of the surname is probably the Clare family of Clare in Suffolk, who received the Dukedom of Clarence in 1362. Early examples of the surname include Bogo de Clare of Oxford in the 1273 Kings Rolls, Goditha Clare of Kent in 1317, and Thomas Clair of St Giles Cripplegate, London on January 19th 1664. The 'first' Clare/Clair(e) into the New American Colonies of King James 1 was probably Mr Clare, Master of the Ship 'Gods Gift' of London. Unfortunately he was dead when he 'arrived' at Elizabeth City on or about February 16th 1623. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Richard de Clare, which was dated 1086, The Domesday Book for County Suffolk, England, during the reign of King William 1, 1066 - 1087. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Reply to
clare

If the sepsis gets into the bload you could be dead in 12 hours.

You want to bet on that???

Reply to
clare

Like the UK - English, Welsh, Irish,, Ulstermen, and Scotsmen - and fully half of them can't stand the other half.

Reply to
clare

So all you Scorsmen are going to be Englishmen? That'll go over real good in Aberdeen.

Reply to
clare

Who's to make that decision??? On what basis???

Reply to
clare

My first car was a Morris 850, and my current car is a 3 liter - my truck is a 4 liter and the american 6 liters today put out in excess of 600 horses

Reply to
clare

(note the attributions)

I suggested we do it based on population. Or, age of recorded civilized society. In each case, China. Hence the reference to bowing... :> (there are apparently lots of rules/etiquette on the subject)

Reply to
Don Y

Is that the original Mini Cooper? The only Morris I recall in the US was the rather ugly Morris Minor. I don't know if there was a Morris Major but I think not.

Reply to
rbowman

I like the name Clare. You said it was short for "Clarence", so that makes sense.

Reply to
Muggles

"Paracetamol, also known as acetaminophen or APAP, is a medication used to treat pain and fever."

Same active ingredient as Tylenol.

It was silly of me to think I couldn't find a 24 hour dentist in Baltimore, or cities much smaller. It's just that unlike the last time, these days, no dentist will pay for a listing in the phone book that says this, because a) phone books are out b) dentists who do this change all the time, so now there are services.

There are at least 3 listed for Baltimore, with 800 numbers

Reply to
Micky