OT. GM fuel mileage overstated

Page 5 of 6
On 5/19/2016 1:02 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Second-hand stores are your friend. I use a glass (rectangular) baking dish with *vertical* sides (instead of the sloping sides common nowadays) for many of my baked goods. Mine dates from the 60's. A few minutes browsing the second hand stores over the years "when I had time" have helped me locate two of them.
On 5/19/2016 6:52 PM, Don Y wrote:

Those second hand GM pie plates, the mileage is often overstated.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 05/19/2016 04:54 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And the VW pie plates don't meet emission standards.
On 5/20/2016 4:40 AM, Megan wrote:

Ah, but the performance is wonderful. 0 to 350 in only a few seconds.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 6:07:58 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

...possibly, you're thinking of the Ford Pinto? (0-2000 deg)
Don Y posted for all of us...

Around here the saying is: You can't get there from here.
--
Tekkie

On 5/14/2016 7:12 PM, Don Y wrote:

Where are you getting the numbers? Since you are talking a trip this morning are you using what the car is telling you? If so, it is probably wrong.
The last five cars (different brands) had the computer that gave you the mpg of a trip and since the last fill up. I've checked the old method of filling the tank and calculating. The car computer ranged from 2 to 6 mpg too high
In reality, it is very rare to really get what the official rating is. Verified over hndreds of tanks of gas on many cars.
On 5/14/2016 7:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ours has been really close. We record the odometer reading and the gallons of fuel that the *pump* claims to have dispensed. We compare this to the total that the car reports for each tankful along with the running average. The car always reports *lower* MPG than we calculate.
E.g., car reports 190.3 miles on the last tank. (the car decides when it has been "filled"; we don't "tell it"). Car claims 20.5 MPG. Simple arithmetic suggests the actual efficiency was 21.29 MPG.
For a car that claims to get "up to" 20MPG in city driving.
Of course, if car was claiming 29 MPG for each "trip" -- then reporting an average of 20 for the tank, we would be suspicious. OTOH, when we see it report *5.8* MPG for a trip down the block (*a* block), we don't start sweating!

Perhaps you should buy a "smarter" car? :>
Our vehicle currently has ~4300 miles on it. As of the last fillup (at 4259), we'd pumped 214.402 gallons into it. That's 19.86 MPG over the life of the car.
If the manufacturer told me "up to 20 MPG" and I calculate 19.86 -- while the car claims 19 (doesn't display tenths) as its average -- I'm not going to gripe that "I'm not getting what the official rating is"!
On 05/14/2016 08:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I go by a ScanGauge plugged into the ODB. When I fill up it is usually within a tenth of a gallon on how much will take to fill the tank and the tank mpg numbers jibe with the odometer.
On 5/15/2016 12:05 AM, rbowman wrote:

cost of fuel is only one of the variables ... how much to get a mile down the road is the bottom line. AAA says.. http://exchange.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Your-Driving-Costs-2015.pdf
On 5/16/2016 12:48 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

The metric is "miles per GALLON (of fuel)" -- not miles per DOLLAR.
On 5/16/2016 3:57 PM, Don Y wrote:

People get hung up on mpg and ignore cost to own.
The price of gas goes up so people sell the paid off gas guzzler and go into debt thousands of dollars to save $4 a week on the fuel cost.
If you drive 10,000 miles a year, at 25 mpg you'd buy 400 gallons but at 35 mpg only 285 gallons. So, you save 115 gallons. Yeah, that justifies buying a new economical car.
On 05/16/2016 07:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For the last 15 years I just buy economical cars and watch the SUVs come and go. It gives me a little tickle of Schadenfreude when I pull in and cram 8 gallons or so into the Yaris, wash the windows and plates, and check the tire pressure while the guy in the barge next to me is still pumping.
On 5/16/2016 6:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sure, but the comments in this thread have concerned MPG. If you want to address TCO, then you have to look at cost of maintenance, insurance, registration (many places treat vehicles as "property" so a new car can cost hundreds per year to register while anolder one can cost close to nothing), etc.
You'd also have to consider opportunity costs/time value of money (that could be *growing* instead of depreciating), risk valuation (you're less likely to get dragged into a lawsuit for running over a toddler if you don't drive a car!), effect on the rest of the economy (what sort of a factor does the auto industry have on YOUR job), cost of your time (you can walk "for free"), etc.

That, of course, depends on what the gas guzzler is costing you! A 30 year old vehicle that already has high maintenance costs doesn't look any *better* when you consider its fuel economy!

It suggests you have an additional $500/year (at $4 gas) to put towards your "new" car budget. I took *my* car off the road cuz I wasn't putting 1,000 miles / year on it! I could take a cab for less money (per mile) than operate my vehicle.

I drive a vehicle that is over 40 years old. It is not particularly good on gas but maintenance costs are very low and it is long since paid for. I'll be keeping it.
On 5/14/2016 9:59 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Instantaneous readout on my new Subaru indicates I get 100 mpg going down hill.
Wonder if that guy with little "d" after his name will mandate that roads can only go down hill? Would sure help deter climate change. If states do no follow mandate, they will not get highway funds from the fed.
On 05/16/2016 01:34 PM, Frank wrote:

when I first got the ScanGauge I had it in instantaneous mode. I think the injectors shut off completely when you're coasting. That mode isn't too useful in town.
On 5/16/2016 8:10 PM, rbowman wrote:

New cars play games shutting down cylinders when the power isn't required.
On 5/16/2016 11:29 PM, Don Y wrote:

Doubt this is happening on the Subaru. I don't know how they can instantaneously measure mileage and would think it extremely hard to do it on fuel usage. Car also has a CVT which gives maybe an extra mpg.
On 5/17/2016 6:05 AM, Frank wrote:

Mileage is a takeoff on the tranny -- count wheel rotations per unit time (or, at very low speeds, time per wheel rotation); ditto driveshaft, etc.
Fuel usage is by monitoring how *they* fire the injectors. You know how much fuel is introduced with each activation (if it wasn't predictable, the engine wouldn't run smoothly).
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Cylinder_Management <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Displacement_System
It will be interesting to see how their CVT holds up over time!
We liked the two Subarus we test drove. But, the "tranny hump" (where the bell housing would be on a rear-wheel drive vehicle) was too wide and encroached on the leg position for the passenger (your left foot can't be placed directly in front of your left *hip*, let alone to the *left* of it!)