Old Stanley garage door opener

Page 2 of 2
On 12 Dec 2004 07:49:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

Well, it was an interesting idea ...

It still works. Doesn't even scream/holler to speak of.

I checked this today. The 2 screws weren't really loose and weren't 100% tight. I tightened 'em 100%. They got rubber grommets or somesuch where the screws come thru the housing. Dunno if nuts would help.

Much more informed. Y'all have been incredibly helpful. Thanks, Thanks, and Thanks!
Cheers, Puddin'
Puddin' Man wrote:

A garage door opener supply or repair company may have a spare gearbox housing available, but cracks in that kind of plastic can usually be fixed with epoxy, although it's far better if you reinforce any repair with fiberglass or nylon cloth. Clean off all traces of oil and grease, roughen up the plastic and use slow-cure epoxy because 5-minute epoxy doesn't cure right unless it's mixed almost exactly right. Also any places in the plastic that stick out and have screws going into them should be reinforced with metal tubing (hobby shops and real hardware stores sell brass and aluminum tubing) epoxied over them.