How best to connect a generator, HELP !!

I am 70 years old and have a bad heart condition, last year I had over 11 days of no power and had to live in my home with nothing but a fireplace and a sleeping bag. Now I have purchased a 2.5kw diesel powered generator but I can't get anyone to tell how best to connect it to the furnace. I want to disconnect the furnace at the circuit breaker and put a romex cable of 14/2 at the output of the breaker and connect it to a cable from the generator. But no one wants to let me know if this will work and if there would be any possible problems. Can some one let me know if they have tried this and had any adverse problems. Thanks for any answers, you can answer me by E-Mail.

Reply to
thebrownie

You asked this last week and got your answer

Reply to
m Ransley

This is what I put in my house and this will probably answer a few questions... you can find it here:

This works great!!!!!!!!!!

I bought it and had an electrician install it for about 200 dollars. (I bought the 5000 Watt)

Regards....Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yeah, but he is too lasy to check back, you gotta E-mail him! I just love people that do that, they want free advice, and are not willing to check back for the answers! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I HAVE LOOKED AT ALL THE ANSWERS ! and they were all the same, pay more than I paid for the generator, about twice as much. And calling all the electricians in the phone book I found that no one will do anything by themselves. You must have a electrical contractor to do anything and that would cost me about $2000.00. I paid $ 600.00 for the generator, you do the math . Thanks anyway !!

Reply to
aezael

Ok, how does this sound: take the j-box that's presently servicing th furnace and put a duplex receptacle in, or below it; or make it single (heck make it a GFI). Run a heavy-duty appliance cord (makin sure that it's rated for the amperage) from the furnace j-box and plu the furnace in. Try to route the appliance cord in a workmanlik manner (not a tripping hazard). When the power goes out, plug th furnace into the generator (via an extension cord, since the generato will probably be outside).

That'll work, but I bet it isn't code, and I expect some flames fro real electricians...soon..

--

5p5
Reply to

Install a flanged inlet on the furnace and connect it to one end of a double pole double throw center off switch. Connect the common terminals of the two poles to the furnace equipment. Connect the other end of the two poles to the furnace branch circuit from your service equipment. Total materials less than $100.

If you have a modern electrical panel in use as your Service Disconnecting Means then you can purchase the needed interlocks and Inlet connections for less than two hundred dollars. Several hours invested in reading "Wiring Simplified" and asking informed questions will take care of the labor cost.

Reply to
Tom Horne, Electrician

Make it a single because it's a dedicated circuit. Other than that, it sounds great. I would not use a GFCI because you don't want a false-trip to take out your furnace while you're out of town.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob