Stanley Garage Door Opener Beam Sensor Components

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on troubleshooting/fixing the obstruction beam sensor assembly (part #49522) on a Stanley Quite-Glide garage door opener (model UT605-F09).

The red LED on the sensor used to be on all the time and the beeper would only sound when the beam was broken. Now, the red LED is off all the time and the beeper sounds every few seconds. I tried cleaning the optics and setting the sensor/emitter up on my workbench, independent of the motor unit, with a separate 12 VDC power supply. Even with the sensor and emitter lined up a few centimeters away from each other, the red LED won't light up and the beeper sounds. I can hear a faint buzz from the sensor board when the emitter is pointed at the detector. The buzz goes away when I hide the emitter.

The resistors and capacitors on the sensor's circuit board look to be in good shape (nothing is burned out or leaking), so I suspect either the phototransistor, the IR LED, or one of the other semiconductor components is shot. I'd like to try replacing them all before giving up on the unit. The transistors and diodes are labelled clearly enough, but I'm not sure what parts to buy to replace the optoelectronics and the 8-pin chip (labelled P7104 I 7507807 =B5EM810G). Can anyone help me identify them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
webster.joe

Don't replace anything until you are are sure it is bad. My neighbor had trouble like yours and the problem was the sensor housing on one side had fallen down some. So realign the sensors until both leds are glowing.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

If you haven't already done it, is there a way of by-passing the sensors? Just a way of verifying that it is internal to the sensors.

Reply to
Rich256

Without the sensor I can open the garage door with the remote control, no problem. I can also close the door by pressing and holding the hardwired pushbutton inside the garage. The only thing I can't do right now is close the door with the remote because, by design, the opener won't close the door if it can't find the sensor.

I'm sure it isn't an alignment problem since I've tried moving the emitter directly in front of the receiver and the problem persists. I tested the wiring too, since I've heard that is also a common problem with beam sensors. It was all good.

I've been quoted $50 for a new sensor assembly. It would be a shame to replace the whole thing when replacing a $2 component might do the trick.

Reply to
webster.joe

You obviously have isolated it to the sensors. And I expect that a $2 component is probably what it needs. Just the question if you want to spend the time of tracing out the circuit and measuring voltages. I never looked inside of those things but probably not a lot of components. I would be most suspicious of the LED.

Reply to
Rich256

Ask in sci.electronics.repair. If the chip is a microprocessor and it's bad, you're screwed, but I think it's a generic part, maybe a comparator, and I don't think it's failed. The most common problems with garage door sensors are cracked solder joints and broken wiring, and wires can break inside the insulation (usually where they pass through the hole in the box) but look fine from the outside.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

you can check the emitter side using a digital cameras view screen. infra-red shows up as white light on them,good for checking remotes too.

Reply to
Luddite

jpaulson14 had written this in response to

: Hello,

I have the same Stanley 49522 Photo Eye beam sensor assembly, but the pins have rusted and broken off of the photo transistor, so it is no longer usable. Does anyone know the part number of the photo transistor and where I might find it? Or the wavelength of this 49522 beam assembly? I tried using a Radio Shack photo transistor with a wavelength of 850 nm but it only worked when the receiver was side by side with the sender.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jpaulson14

Quick diagnostic tip: try a remote control for your tv and point it at the receiver - if it flashes, you know its ok. I know this is an old thread but I came across it because my Stanley UT200 garage opener (from the 1990s) has the same issue - won't close because of a sensor issue. It opens fine, and closes if I hold down the button, but not from the remote. Quick tip for anyone trying to troubleshoot: I think its the emitter on mine that is gone. I took a remote control for my soundbar and aimed it at the receiver and it flashed when I hit the power button on the remote - this tells me its seeing infra-red light. I also tried taking a photo with my DLSR of the emitter, and no trace of light on the image (if IR leaves a trace). Anyhow, now I gotta find me a compatible emitter...

Reply to
ReseA

If an ordinary DLSR did not filter out IR then its photos would be degraded. Now if you had a trail camera...

Reply to
Mike Coon