Ice maker won't eject ice

I have ice maker used to crank ice like crazy. Then the water line started leaking all over the floor in back of the fridge. I put a new clamp on the line and it stopped leaking, but then wasn't getting water to the ice maker. I used hair dryer to clear the water line and now it gets water and freezes, but won't eject the ice. I used hair dryer to heat the tray and it finally went around and dumped the ice out. Now the only way I can get the thing to dump ice is if I run the hair dryer on the tray first. Does this mean the heating coil is bad? I just bought this ice maker last year to replace the origional that stripped gears.

Reply to
Bluto

The hairdrier solution may only have been temporary by allowing the water to refreeze after you finished. Try to properly and fully defrost the freezer then try again before panicking. If a full defrost is impractical, remove the ice maker and let it dry out on the coutertop completely before reinstalling it. At least try reinserting the connector in case a contact is open.

If it were just the heater, it would attempt to dump (rotate tray) but the ice would stay in or prevent complete rotation of the tray. If a switch inside were frozen, it might just idle and not try and eject at all.

Reply to
PipeDown

I had the same problem with my fridge. It was a drainage problem with the defrost unit not draining and freezing up which cause the water in the ice maker to freeze. I traced it to a drain which flowed to an outlet at the back upper part of the fridge which was blocked with scum. I also had to remove the freeze liner and defrost the ice build up. You could do it by letting the fridge stand open but would take a couple of days. The liner removed pretty easy if you are the type to do that.

Reply to
irish