garage door not closing

My gargae door started not going down all the way a few days ago but not all the time. Last night I tried to adjust the lasers on each side now it doesn't go past the bend at the top of the track. Where are the lasers supposed to point toward. And should there be a green light on each side?

Reply to
coledeen

Not sure but it I believe the lasers have to point to each other to complete the circuit.

David

Reply to
hibb

Hi, I think it is IR emitter and senor pair. You have to align the IR beam to the sensor. You watch the sensor output with a multmeter.while adjusting the emitter position. When it is adjusted right, the sensor will give highest output. I use an IR detector card to make this task easy. Stick the card on the sensor and when the beam is aligned, you'll see red dot on the card sensing area. I bought this card from electronics parts store.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Do you think anyone who wanted to help you might be need to know oh, say-- the make and model of the opener, the install configuration, the age? You know, little things like that-- you dimwit....

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

Nobody uses a meter. You simply look at the LED at the receiver and aim the emitter until the receiver's LED lights up.

It is a safety measure to keep the garage door from coming down on some kid's head. It has nothing to do with track alignment. Most likely, there's a bent track or problem with the counterspring.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Hi, You funny, I said light of beam alignment and where the track alignment comes from? Using a meter is more accurate. Peak reading means good near

100% alignment.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

My best guess on the solution would be to R.T.F.B. for the opener and/or the door itself. Why ask someone that has no idea what your situation is.

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Read the original post.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

And there is a VERY strong chance the "safety eye" is NOT the problem. More likely the overcurrent trip or the limit switch. The overcurrent trip will come into play if there is any binding

Reply to
clare

Pull the emergency release. Can you close the door now? And open it again? If it opens and closes properly you have rulled out actual door failure.. Then disconnect the safety eye and see if the door works properly now. If it does, it is a safety eye problem. If it doesn't, most likely cause is limit switch failure or misadjustment. Limit switches can be internal to the opener or mounted on the track.

Reply to
clare

Step one in trouble shooting before I do anything else. Clean both lenses of the 'electric eye' (IR xmitter/rcvr). That has cured the trouble twice on mine now.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I don't know where you live, but if it has recently gotten colder than previously, it might have taken nothing more than a slight increase in the down force to make the door close. Happens a lot in cold weather. Things stiffen up and the doors stop and start erractically.

Of course, now that you screwed with the beams, I guess you'll have to get them lined up correctly first.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

After you get the lasers aligned, look at the unit. You should have two adjustment screws. One for up and one for down. Turn the down one clockwise to increase the amount of pressure and you should be ok. I had the opposite issue mine would not go up when it got cold, so I turned the up one about half a turn and now it works fine. Good luck.

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

for mechanicals, spring closer repair is at:

buffalobill