Garage Door Does Not Stay Up When Manually Opened Fully

11-10-06, 9:26 AM EST

-Garage Door Does Not Stay Up When Manually Opened Fully

-It comes down about couple of feet & settles there

-This causes problem for my minivan to come out when we loose power

-There is no problem in opening & closing using the Opener

-dave

Reply to
davekhera
11-10-06, 9:26 AM EST

-Garage Door Does Not Stay Up When Manually Opened Fully

-It comes down about couple of feet & settles there

-This causes problem for my minivan to come out when we loose power

-There is no problem in opening & closing using the Opener

-dave

Reply to
davekhera

Clear this up for me.... so, when you hit the button it opens fully then comes back down a few feet? But, when you hit the remote button it works the way it should?

Reply to
kellyj00

-When I say "manually open", I mean that i pull the rope to dislodge the electric-opener. Then i manually push the door up all the way. then i let go and the door slides down by about couple of feet!

-there is no problem using with the electric opener. i can press button on the remote or the switch mounted near the door, either way the door opens and closes fully w/o any problem

-thanks for your interest. i appreciate it.

Reply to
davekhera

On 10 Nov 2006 06:26:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote (with possible editing):

You or someone else needs to tighten the springs. There are either two long coil springs connected by cables to the bottom of the door or there is a torsion spring at the front which needs tightening.

If the former, you need to tighten both symmetrically. Try shortening the cables by about 2 - 4 inches each. If the second, this is probably too dangerous for you to do - call a pro.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport
11-10-06, 9:48am

-Thanks Larry. I appreciate the help

-that is exactly what i thought i needed to get done

-i have not found anyone yet who would do it for me

-couple of pe> On 10 Nov 2006 06:26:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote (with

Reply to
davekhera

Reply to
Craven Morehead

-yes, during the power-outages

-thanks for your > > 11-10-06, 9:26 AM EST

Reply to
davekhera

three things you can do:

  1. re-engage the opener with it open. (this would only work with a genie screw drive)
  2. adjust your springs.
  3. use a pair of vise grips to hold it open
Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Like Larry said, if your door uses extension springs (one on each side, running along the tracks.) it's pretty easy to shorten the cables.

Just disconnect the door from the opener and have one person hold it fully upward while another places a C-clamp or even a psir of Vise-Grip pliers on one of the tracks next to a roller wheel to keep the door up there.

The cables should be noticeably slack then, and what you have to do is detach the ends of both cables where they are connected near the top of the door opening on each side, reattaching them so they are each a few inches shorter. You'll probably find that the cable attachment is just a "tie" which you can easily undo and remake.

If your door uses a torsion spring(s) located across the top of the door opening, then don't be an angel and rush in where wise men dare to tread, keep looking for a door company who can come out and adjust it. You probably don't have the tools and knowledge to take on what could be a dangerous job.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
11-10-06, 12:19pm est

-thanks for the 3 tips

-i have stanley brand and i have torsion springs on the top

-it seems obvious that i better use vise-grips

-like jeff said, i don't want to be an angel

-may use these grips till i find someone to adjust these torsion springs

-thanks larry, steve & jeff

-you have been a great help

-i appreciate it

-dave

Steve Barker LT wrote:

Reply to
davekhera

It sounds to me as if the door is set about right. It may be a bit tight if it rests above mid point. The proper spring preload is there to balance the weight of the door. I like to set them where the door stands about half way. Finger tip, or least minimal, pressure to open or to close. This would be true whether or not you use a power operator. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

No, a garage door that has proper spring tension should not come down a couple of feet so that it hits the top of his minivan.

Reply to
trader4
11-20-06, 9:37am est

-thanks "danG" & "trader4" for your comments on 11-10-06

-sorry for not responding sooner

-i basically gave up after my last comments

-from your comments, it seems, that i should be checking the setting of the door on the chain

-there is a bracket with some nut & bolts right where you disengage the door

-i should probably look into it

-again thanks for your tips. i appreciate it

-dave khera

snipped-for-privacy@> > It sounds to me as if the door is set about right. It may be a

Reply to
davekhera