MOLE HELP

any good tips on catching moles that dig up the yard?

ds549

Yes watch Caddy Shack for some hints.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:27512-494D509F-1264@storefull-

3173.bay.webtv.net:

Are you at a woods edge? If so, that makes it tough.

Two things will work. One is simple and the other more complex.

First: Cat(s). Once they spot one above or tunneling, they become very patient and determined. Was next to woods once. Serious mole tuneling problem. Stray cat someone dumped off in woods. Roaming around house to house. No one wanted it. I took it in. Cat cleaned up moles in a couple of months. No more tunnels. Many tunnels on other side of fences at neighbors of which one had la-de-da turf rolled out. Made sure I mentioned how that PITA cat that was around that no one wanted became mine and eliminated moles...except for the occasional head I'd fine in the yard.

Second: There is something in the yard they want to eat. Grubs, worms, plant bulbs. Grubs are their favorite but when they are out of season worms are next choice.

For grubs, milky spore is awesome. Lasts for a decade or more but takes a year or two to widely establish itself. Multiplies and spreads itself.

For bulbs and worms...not very good choices.

BTW, when you see a skunk digging in your yard, they are doing you a favor. They love to eat grubs and can smell them from above. Sure, they make a hole...a hole that can often just have turf pushed back on and stepped on. First rain makes it vanish. Whereas, grubs eat grass roots from below. Grass dies in brown spots above. Replant necessary. And of course, skunk has made yard a poor dining area for tunneling moles by removing favorite food.

Reply to
Red Green

How come the cat didn't go to the neighbors after he killed all your moles? Just for a few hours and then he could come home to you? Was he trained?

Reply to
mm

The OP probably put out food for the kitty.

A well-fed cat is a much better hunter than an emaciated one.

Killing for fun and eating for survival are two different activities.

Reply to
HeyBub

Poison containing a phosphorous compound worked for me.

Reply to
Frank

I'm going to try carbon monoxide poisoning next spring. I'll find a tunnel and stick a hose in it and connect it to my lawn tractor engine.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

One of my clients just got rid of his moles with carbon monoxide. He hooked up a hose to the exhaust on his truck and put the other end in the tunnel.

I will be borrowing his hose setup soon

cm

Reply to
cm

Modern vehicles emit very little CO - or at least much less than their predecessors. The reason being fuel injection, computer control of the combustion process, and catalytic convertors.

A better source of CO, I'll bet, is a lawnmower.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well fed or not, I still ask the same question. More fun is better than less fun. Does the cat care about property lines?

Reply to
mm

Don't let the police find it this way, or you'll be the first suspect.

Reply to
mm

I have two Pomeranians that dig one up on occasion. They are close to the ground, ears face forward like a fox and I believe they hear them and dig them up. I fill in the hole they dig after trading treats for the dead mole to keep them from taking too much pride in their find and bring it in the house. Moles don't survive far inside the fence in the back yard.

Reply to
RLM

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Neighbor had a fence around his property because he had a pool. Cat could easily jump or walk up chain link fence; however, must have felt it was not his territory. Wooded area across the street. Used to watch him sit there waiting. Occasionally catch him doing a pounce. Would bring home mole, chipmunk, small snake, whatever.

Reply to
Red Green

Frank wrote in news:gildiv$54m$2 @news.motzarella.org:

But if you have a dog or cat that will hunt moles, this is not a good idea. Mole can get poisoned but not die immediately. Your pet catches the crippled gonner-to-be and gnaws or eats part of it.

Reply to
Red Green

"HeyBub" wrote in news:8NqdnRtwS86Q- NPUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Ain't nothin' like a good old 10mpg 350 cu in around.

Reply to
Red Green

Get a cat, or a rat terrier.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Aha. I think that's an old cat saying, "Good fences make good neighbors". Robert Cat wrote that.

It's funny the way they bring things home.

Reply to
mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My understanding is that they are proud of their catch and/or It is a gift

Reply to
Red Green

If I caught a mole, I'd probably be proud too. I don't know if i'd give it away though. Well, maybe if it was dead.

Reply to
mm

thanks guys.. i had an idea i might try, get a hand crank genny and see if it will shock em out of the ground for the kill or relocation .

ds549