Unusual telephone installation problem - Help

I have two phone lines, identified as Line 1 and Line 2. Line 1 is the main house line; Line 2 is a "hunter" line: if Line 1 is in use, any incoming call will automatically jump to Line 2. My installation requires two separate jacks since Line 1 also accommodates my answering machine. I use the red & green wires for Line 1, black & yellow for Line 2.

Problem: I had to remove both jacks from the wall and disconnect all wiring in order to re-do the room (sheetrock, etc.) and don't recall which wires were connected to which terminals on which jack to duplicate the above installation. I did make a schematic before disconnecting but it got lost in the shuffle of reconstruction.

Can anyone out there with knowledge of telephone wiring help me? Thanks a bunch.

Sid Waine

Reply to
sidw

The jack terminals should have matching coloured wires or lettering molded into the jack.

If not, try Googling for RJ11 wiring.

Reply to
Noozer

If the jack is not color coded, the middle 2 pins of the RJ is line 1 and the outer 2 pins are for line 2. Not sure if polarity is an issue. By the way, why do you have a seperate "jump" line? Can't you just get call waiting?

Reply to
mikepier

Line 1 Green = Tip; Red = Ring Line 2 Black = Tip; Yellow = Ring

SO: On jack for line 1: Green Wire to Green on Jack; Red wire to Red on Jack. On jack for line 2: Black Wire to Green on Jack; Yellow wire to Red on Jack.

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob