Mike97

I have a home built in 1954. The washer machine is in the garage. The washer empties into a tub sink next to the washer. The problem is the sink overflows. There is a small drain in the sink, 1 inch diamater with a small sink trap to cacth the lint. It catches too much lint and nothing drains. I am tired of the garage flooding.... can anyone think of another solution to how I can dispose of the used water?

Reply to
Mike97

I have heard of people placing an old nylon stocking over the washer drain hose and capturing the lint that way. If the problem is lint slowing the flow in the drain of the sink, perhaps it might help?

Reply to
Ken

Plumbing it directly into the drain (like it should have been to begin with) comes to mind...

Reply to
dpb

Mike-

BTDT..... I have a house built in 1930 with an old cast iron / porcelein laudry tub. I have the a similar problem in that the opening in the sink drain as an X obstruction that catches link.

Luckily the tub has a fairly large capacity & acts like a storm water retention basin. By the time the level rises to within 4 or 5 inches of the top of the sink, the washer is done emptying.

The only overflows I get are from stuff left in the sink. :)

You could re-plumb & bypass the sink.

Does removing the link prevent overflow? If so just do it more often, on a schedule like every Saturday.

The other thing I have not tried is a perforated tube shoved into the drain to act as a lint filter.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Use a smaller water level in the washer?

Reply to
HeyBub

Put a lint filter over the discharge hose to catch most of the lint

*before* it gets to the drain. There's metal and plastic versions, they're about a dollar each or less.

A section of old pantyhose will work, but the finer mesh clogs quickly so needs to be checked after every few loads to be sure the water is still flowing freely.

Use a wire tie or hose clamp to hook it to the hose.

Reply to
nobody

Reply to
steve20

Around here, it's VERY common to see the washer draining into a laundry tub such as this. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

A friend with the same problem runs it out a window onto her lawn

Reply to
Rudy