does home depot's drug testing of employees prevent qualified people from working there?

You mean you have to DO drugs to work at Home Depot?

-zero

Reply to
-zero

Heh... LOL.

That's a good question! Given that the folks in the trades aren't exactly known for having normal percentages of drinkers and tokers, one could certainly reason that folks with experience and know how might get turned away at HD. But, at a retail outlet, do you really wanna be dealing with the addict subset of otherwise knowledgeable tradesfolk anyway? I mean, they let those folks operate forklifts near customers and all.

But I'd have to think that it's a 2nd order effect at best, and that lousy pay, corporate drive to show earnings and revenue growth, and of course, us creating our own hell as consumers by consistently valuing low prices over quality service is likely more to blame for the difficulty of flagging down a knowledgeable person at Home Depot.

However I will say this:

You can much more easily find a HD associate that knows something about home improvement than you can a Guitar Center employee that knows jack shit about what they're selling. So it could be worse!

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

From the experiences I have had with Home Depot employees, I would say that drug usage is a REQUIREMENT for hiring.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

While on vacation, I was picking up something in a Home Depot in Mesa, AZ. I overheard the manager thanking the one and only person checking out for coming in on his day off. I asked the manager if help was hard to get. His answer was yes..that they had even taken to trolling the shopping malls looking for people who might want a job. And he said most of the people they found, never showed up to work, even if they happened to pass the drug test in the first place.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

No - but the low wages sure bias things in that direction.

Actually, the local HD has some pretty knowledgeable people in a couple of departments (tools and electrical). I have learned to look for the guys who appear to be way past retirement age. They probably are retired and work there to supplement whatever they do get in retirement benefits.

Reply to
Robert Haar

It probably means more drug abusers will be unemployed and therefore less able to afford Internet service. So, while in the privacy of your own home doing drugs, you will be less likely to come here in this public place and act like an idiot for no apparent reason.

It's kind of too bad your parents didn't teach you to avoid drug abuse, so the rest of society has to take up the slack. And you wonder why the police act like your daddy.

But there's always hope.

Path: newssvr27.news.prodigy.net!newsdbm04.news.prodigy.com!newsdst01.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!newscon04.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.net!newshub.sdsu.edu!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!cyclone.austin.rr.com!news.rr.com!tornado.texas.rr.com.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail From: "nowforsale" Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Subject: does home depot's drug testing of employees prevent qualified people from working there? Lines: 3 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962 X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original Message-ID: Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:10:52 GMT NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.201.248.192 X-Complaints-To: abuse rr.com X-Trace: tornado.texas.rr.com 1159380652 68.201.248.192 (Wed, 27 Sep 2006

13:10:52 CDT) NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:10:52 CDT Organization: Road Runner High Speed Online

you decide

Reply to
John Doe

Yes, just drink, smoke and take prescription antidepressants like they did, "drugs" are illegal.

Reply to
gfretwell

my home depot has some great knoledgable workers yeah the retired workers are really good although some younger ones are very good.

the seasonal ones are often really bad.

Reply to
hallerb

Can't speak for HD, but I've had to pass on some good potential employees because they failed or would not take a drug test.

I don't condone drug use of any sort, but the guy that smokes a joint or two on Saturday night is far less of a problem than the one that shows up after a night of drinking every day.

Hard drugs is a different story and no, I don't want to have any of them working with or for me.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

god made some "drugs", humans made others, who you gonna trust?

Reply to
nowforsale