Any part-time home inspectors out there?

I am considering a part-time job as a home inspector. I have 3 years of

apartment maintenance experience, and would get AHIT certification.

I'd love to hear opinions of home inspectors that are (or were) part-time.

Did you apprentice? For how many inspections? How did you find someone to apprentice with?

How difficult is it to secure 2 inspections/week? This would be an acceptable part-time amount for me.

Any certification organizations to recommend? Steer clear of?

Can I get away with working evenings and weekends only? Does this job encroach on a 7-4 day job?

I think it would be a good fit for me for 3 reasons.

1) Previous apartment experience and an interest in home mechanics. 2) The hourly commitment would match my current part-time job, so the lifestyle change wouldn't be severe. 3) In Minnesota, a home inspection is required for every purchase. 4) I

have a public relations degree and self-marketing skills.

I am afraid of being unable to find enough work (although my day job means relative security). I am also afraid it will take over my life and encroach on my day job.

Reply to
bryanska

Just had home inspection. Inspector brought a "trainee" with him.

Probably depends on your state.

Gonna be difficult to check outside of house and area around house when it is dark.

Worry about the last one after it happens

Lou

Reply to
Lou

Dan,

Thanks for the information. I haven't sat down with any inspectors yet to really delve into it.

With a simple Internet search on the subject, I immediately learned that many people are on the edge of suing their inspector. Most of them seem not to read the fine print and expect too much.

Curious about two things - is there a good for-profit repository of documents you can buy that are pre-worded, to insulate you from litigation?

Second, why in your opinion is ASHI the org to go with?

Thanks again for your insight.

Reply to
bryanska

I consider myself a part-time home inspector although I'm doing six of them this week IMHO the only certification that's worth anything is the ASHI one, not cheap. I'd question that apartment maintenance is adequate preparation, but I don't want to rain on your parade. I think that quite a bit of understanding of construction issues is also important. Missing a major code issue can cost you a lot of money in today's litigious society. Be very aware that buyer's remorse can kick in and you can be the first in line for a lawsuit. I've been quite fortunate in that respect, but I word my reports very carefully to cover such contingincies. Check the American Society of Home Inspectors web site for answers to your questions, and good luck whatever you decide!

Dan

Reply to
Dan