Electric Wall Switches

I guess google is broken? maybe it is a double pole single throw switch.

Tying the "white wires" together and landing on the switch you purchased may solve your problem. I am a tad confused with the description.

Reply to
SQLit

I just hope you are not rewiring the toilet too ;-)

____________________________________________________________________________ ___

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Ulysses

Harry -- you guys don't exactly inspire confidence, just based on the way you are talking. But you also don't sound like guys that are going to go hire an electrician either. So please, take som extra precautions when doing this kind of work: - Turn OFF the circuit breakers at the main panel. No one should ever be touching any wires or anything when the power is on (even if you turn off the light switches). - Be careful that no one mistakenly turns on the circuit breaker when anyone is near the opened wire boxes. - Just to be sure everything is off, test the wires for power (try combination of whites, blacks, bare grounds, the box itself, etc.), using a handheld voltmeter. If you don't have one of those, carefully make connections between wires using the metal of a screwdriver while being very sure to hold only the plastic insulated handle. If you see any tiny (or huge) sparks, stop. - When making connections, make sure the wires are tightened down firmly, but don't tighten so much that you crush the wire or begin to strip the screws.

BTW -- you really are not supposed to put two wires on the screw connections like that. They were not designed for it. BUT, maybe you would be best off just leaving it, instead of risking making it worse. The correct way would have been to get a short piece (about 5 inches) of the correct size wire, called a pigtail, stripped about a half inch on each end. The ends of the two wires, plus the pigtail, are carefully twisted together, then a plastic "wire nut" screwed on to the bundle to cover up the exposed wire. The other end of the pigtail now gets connected to the screw on the switch.

In any case: make sure you don't have any loose connections, and make sure that any exposed, stripped wire isn't going to touch anything inside the box by mistake. Exposed ends, if any, should have a wire nut on them. And for the screw connections, only strip enough of the wire to make the connection, no more.

Reply to
kevin

See if any of these help you out:

courtesy google search for electrical switch light (exactly like that).

If not, they might also be useful in phrasing your question more precisely. It's really hard to describe these things in words, I know.

HTH,

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Hello, Can someone tell me where on the Internet ican get pictures of wall switches. Iam trying to replace a switch in my bathroom that seems to control, at least as far as i know, two things: the ceiling exhaust fan and the ceiling light. The ceiling light was originally wired for a timer swithch for the heat lamp that was in this now ceiling light. I had the timer switch and heat bulb removed so that i could screw in a Titanium-Dioxide, coated bulb because of the mold in the bathroom (Florida etc.), and this switch sits alone under the double switch above it which control the medicine cabinet lights and sockets on the left side of the double switch, and the ceiling fan on the right side, or at least that is what i thought until i went to install the new switch which seems broken. The switch iam trying to replace seems to have two white wires and one black wire and probably no groundwire. After installing the new switch, i found this switch, not only, in some strange manner, controls the ceiling fan and at the same time the switch which controls the ceiling, light socket where is now the Titanium Dioxide, light, bulb. In other words the double switch has one side controlling the ceiling fan and another light switch in no way visually connected, as they are about

1 and 1/2 inches apart and not in the same electrical box - the ceiling, light switch is under the double switch.

When i installed the new switch, it worked the ceiling fan fine, however the ceiling light wouldnot work on the new switch. The new switch is just a plain (to the best of my knowledge)wall. switch.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Harry

This is a re-post. I hope it makes more sense. Hello, Can someone tell me where on the Internet ican get pictures of wall switches. Iam trying to replace a switch in my bathroom that seems to control, at least as far as i know, two things: the ceiling exhaust fan and the ceiling, light switch. The ceiling, light switch was originally wired for a timer switch for the heat-lamp bulb. I had the timer switch and heat bulb removed so that i could install a regular light switch for the Titanium-Dioxide, coated bulb, because of the mold in the bathroom (Florida etc.), and this switch sits alone under the double switch above it which control the medicine cabinet lights and sockets on the left side of the double switch, and the ceiling fan on the right side, or at least that is what i thought until i went to install the new switch.

The broken switch iam trying to replace seems to have two white wires and one black wire and probably no groundwire. After installing the new switch, i found out it not only, in some strange manner, controls the ceiling fan, plus at the same time the *switch* which controls the ceiling, light socket where is now the Titanium Dioxide, light, bulb. In other words the double switch has one side controlling the ceiling fan and another light switch in no way visually connected, as they are about 1 and 1/2 inches apart and not in the same electrical box - the ceiling, light switch is under the double switch.

When i installed the new switch, it worked the ceiling fan fine, however the ceiling light wouldnot work on the new switch. The new switch is just a plain (to the best of my knowledge)wall. switch.

I think i may have this all wrong: There are two switches in one electrical box, and one switch 1 ½ below it hopefully in a single electrical box. It is the switch on the right side, in the double electrical box that broke (it wouldnot hold the on position unless i shoved something in there to stop it from turning itself off).

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Harry

Hello, Iam the one on the coputer asking the questions and the other guy is the one doing the "work", so that is why itis so confusing: neither i know what iam talking about nor does the other guy know what he is doing, however THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! that was the answer. He couldnot get both wires into that little clamp hole, so tied the other white wire to the screw that tightens that clamp hole where the first, white wire is in. Again i say: thank you. You saved the day . . . now for the toilet . . .