Mail box security?

Page 1 of 3
I've often worried about the security of my rural mail box at the end of my driveway. To the best of my knowledge, I've never lost anything but I still worry. I usually try to put the outgoing mail in the box within a few hours of pickup but that can be difficult as mail-persons change. Also, I never put mail out the night before.
Thoughts? Ever lost anything you are aware of? Mailbox theft rare?
TIA
On 02/15/2016 10:37 AM, KenK wrote:

It seems that no matter how carefully one takes precautions, the one thing that is going to get you is that which you have not planned for.
Unless you are living in an area where it's a known fact that there have been "mail box" thefts I don't think it's worth worrying about.
Of course I would take a package with valuable contents directly to the post office.
On 2/15/2016 9:44 AM, philo wrote:

Here, there was a spate of instances of folks having checks stolen from their mailboxes, washed and then rewritten (payable to CASH, etc.)
OTOH, I am not sure how many folks still use checks to pay bills!

On 02/15/2016 10:50 AM, Don Y wrote:

Most use (or even require) auto deposit / withdrawal.
I receive only a few actual checks a year, and rarely write more than one check a month.
My wife and I do order most of our stuff on-line though. It's usually cheaper and certainly easier than driving off to some store that may not even have the product in stock. Some of it is sent via the mail and I have not had a problem.
On 2/15/2016 12:00 PM, philo wrote:

neighborhood thief, now in jail, but there could be others.
Most of my problems are with the mail carrier giving my mail to someone else and me getting someone else's mail. I got a check once that had been opened, envelope stapled back together, and sent to me.
Post office makes most of their profit from the junk mailers and all their loose crap can cause problems with stuff you want.
Speaking of which, our local paper sent out a notice that several times a year, the paper would cost an extra dollar because of all the extra ads.
Readers want to strangle them.
On 2/15/2016 11:34 AM, Frank wrote:

Local paper BEGS people to subscribe. A sunday paper (97.2663% ads) was just left for us last week -- along with an "invitation" to a FREE 2 month subscription (just give us your email address and street address).
"No thanks" (we can get the news from a variety of sources -- to counter any "local spin" -- along with ads for any of the places we are LIKELY to visit. Why have to throw out a stack of paper each week for stuff that we can get elsewhere?)
On 2/15/2016 1:42 PM, Don Y wrote:

Papers are dying and so is mail thanks to the internet and TV news channels. Twenty years ago I used to spend about $30/month for postage for my part time consulting business. Now it's about 50 cents a month.
I do like the on-line edition of the paper and you have to be a print subscriber to get it for more than a few times access. Otherwise the paper version is only useful for the funnies.
On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 2:33:10 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

USPS is primarily a junk mail delvery service. Just work to take it to the trash:(
In case you havent heard the post office is losing billions, so first class mail is going to 60 cents.
the post master of the us wants to close post offices near other ones, but congress passed a law prohibiting that
the post office would allow grocery stores to set up mini post offices//////
our government no longer functions. this is just one example
On 2/15/2016 2:52 PM, bob haller wrote:

Government agencies have discovered immortality and continue to grow. You have to drive a wooden stake through their heart or shoot them with a silver bullet.
On 02/15/2016 1:33 PM, Frank wrote:

I _detest_ trying to read a newspaper online and will take both the local (small town) and another more substantial 'til either the day I die or they both refuse to mail 'em (we're rural, no carrier).
The local is important _for_ the "local spin"; it's one way to know what is going on locally besides just gossip. The other has a little more broad national coverage but it's still a pretty small town paper; the two metro papers quit mail delivery several years ago.
As for the OP's original question, we're rural as said but get our mail in town at the PO Box and have "since forever". Originally (19-teens) the rural delivery was to a corner point 2-1/2 mi closer to town where there were about 10 boxes back then. Grandfather said since at that point it was only another mile to the PO downtown, might as well just get it there and have it secure. Out here and now and especially then, that was mostly from wind and blowing dirt, not miscreants.
There are three other places on our road going to town who do get their mail at their boxes; afaik they've not had any troubles, at least never mentioned it. There is little traffic other than oilfield workers besides the locals, however, it's not a spot on the "way to anywhere" nor any reason for kids to be joyriding particularly or the like.
The only stories I hear are mostly Wichita or the like and they're either the random acts of destruction somebody else has mentioned or targetted at mostly the apartment complexes where there are many boxes in a close locale if they're looking for either checks or the like. Not much payoff in a one-at-a-time poke into a single box here and there...much better odds if there are 50 or so can rifle through at a time.
On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 3:35:35 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Our county has a local paper that comes out on Wednesdays and Fridays; good for keeping up with local events. Unfortunately, they were bought out by t he local big-city newspaper so we get their unwanted Saturday edition for f ree. I just toss it in the trash. There's also an on-line local news site w hich is very good.
Paul
On 2/15/2016 2:33 PM, Frank wrote:

Check out www.gocomics.com for the funnies.
On 2/15/2016 3:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Unless you are predisposed to following a particular national franchise, there are lots of other sites that offer a wide variety of chuckels. These often aren't as artificially constrained in what they can talk about ("PC").
<http://eyesoffire.net/funstuff/jokes/index.htm <http://eyesoffire.net/funstuff/jokes/pages/easterbunny_jpg.htm One has to wonder how these folks get these outrageous ideas!! :>
On 2/15/2016 12:33 PM, Frank wrote:

Yup. My only "postage" costs are to mail parts/prototypes back and forth (USPS or UPS).

Our local paper is little more than a print edition of an AP/Reuters news feed. About the only things they "report on" are various high school ball games. And, it's hard to consider that "reporting".
It's even worse for TV/radio. Research costs money. They'd rather spend that money buying some national "feed" (so, why do I need to go through you to get to that feed?)
Anything of real *interest* ("initiatives" on which we vote pretty regularly -- every 6 mos?) is always "spun" by the editorial staff of the particular media outlet. So, you're never truly getting information but, rather, "selective propaganda". (I'm surely not going to PAY to get your OPINION)
Don Y posted for all of us...

+1 I read a book 40 years ago called 'Unreliable Sources'. It opened my eyes up to the fact that is no real reporting done any more. It is all pap fed by the gov't. The only news might be some kind of investigative reporting-but start with a conclusion and follow that trail. The local paper I like sends their people to the meetings then captures all the give and take between the reps and the public. One can get to know the players because they frequently send a shot across the bow. In FF I had experience with a different papers reporters; usually they were below the quality of minimum wage fast food workers (I am NOT condemning FF workers! It's tough) without knowledge of what to ask.
--
Tekkie

On 02/15/2016 01:42 PM, Don Y wrote:

About a year ago I tried the online edition ($30/mo) of our local paper. Trouble is they force you to accept javascripts from about a dozen various other websites...so I cancelled. I've since heard the paper is about to go bankrupt.
On 2/15/2016 4:46 PM, Red wrote:

I use several plug-ins with Firefox to clamp down on JScript, disable Flash, block ads, etc.
But, this makes going to those sites tedious -- I have to play a guessing game as to which I should temporarily re-enable for THIS visit.

But then you lose your 'free' daily sudoku and crossword!
On 2/16/2016 10:47 AM, KenK wrote:

I have a Sudoku app.
And, I'm LOUSY at crosswords! (Pretty good at Jumbles, though!)
On 02/15/2016 12:34 PM, Frank wrote: X

My carrier is an idiot and I get mail for my neighbors all the time. I simply run it over and drop it in their box.
I also get mail for someone I've never heard of and when I clip it to my mailbox with a huge note that they don't live here...he just leaves it! If it's junk mail I toss it, but anything that looks important, I have to take to a mailbox.