Outside Tap Security Box - Is there such a thing?

Hi all

Tried a quick google on this but no joy. Does anyone make a lockable security box or cover for an outside tap (preferably one that doubles as an insulation box)? I've just installed a tap to the front of the house and don't want any little oiks getting their hands on it and sending the water meter spinning.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Faced with a similar problem, I just put a ball-valve on the feed to the tap inside the house and I only turn it on when I want to use it.

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham

Not exactly what you are asking for but we have a stopcock under the sink that shuts off the water to our outside tap.

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

Remove the handle or fit an internal stopcock?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Tue, 8 May 2007 13:32:55 +0100 someone who may be "TheScullster" wrote this:-

Presumably you have installed a stopcock inside and a drain somewhere, so you can drain it down in winter. If so simply only turn on the tap when necessary.

If you haven't installed these...

Reply to
David Hansen

How about a meter box. (as used for gas and electric meters) It'll the stop oiks and provide a degree of insulation from the cold.

Londoncityslicker

There is a type with a square peg, shrouded flush by a round tube where the handle would normally be. The "key" is a normal looking brass tap handle with a square hole in a round stem. Kinda like an inverse railway carriage key.

We used to have one on the outside of the block of flats I lived in, for car washing etc. Good enough to defeat the kids. Try a plumbers merchant maybe?

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

================================== Try a google for 'tap security', where you'll find a pdf file under

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Is a separate drain c*ck really necessary? I'm planning to drill through my kitchen wall to install a garden tap sometime soon. I was planning on the basis that come the winter I would turn off the service valve inside and then drain the (minimal) external pipework by opening the tap itself, and leaving it open until the following spring.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

No, it wasn't one of those. It was a bona-fide tap, but the top end *was* a bit like a drain c*ck, only a fraction bigger/thicker.

I have no idea what they are called though. "Security Tap" maybe... I'll do some googling later.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

That's what I do.

Don't forget the double check valve.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah, I sit corrected, I had a little google but nothing showing.

Reply to
fred

As already suggested arrow valves do a lot of security items. This one is the tap being mentioned I think. I seem to remember them from school.

JohnW

=================================== They also show one built in to a wall which seems a bit over the top when one considers the more basic solutions suggested here.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

How about using an ordinary brass outdoor tap with the handle removed. Bring the handle to the tap when you want to use it...

Reply to
Cuprager

On 8 May 2007 10:45:24 -0700 someone who may be Martin Pentreath wrote this:-

Depends on how the pipework is arranged and where the double check valve is.

Some people don't even bother to turn an external tap off in winter and get away with it because any ice can expand back inside the house.

Reply to
David Hansen

Similar to most othe replies here. When I had the same issue (concern over stolen water) I fitted an internal service valve. This has the added advantage of allowing me to drain the outside pipes in winter.

At the end of the day, if someone is determined to steal your water, and you're away, there's not much that could protect the tap. Anything wooden or metal could be smashed off with a sledgehammer. Personally I think you're better off leaving the tap exposed so that any would-be- scrote can see immediately that it's not working and moves onto the next house.

Reply to
Jethro

You can get like normal taps that have a padlock fitted. In the last place I worked gypsies moved into the wasteland next door and ran a hose pipe to the outside tap in the loading area (bloomin cheek). Next day a tap with a padlock appeared. Need to remove padlock before you can turn the tap.

Reply to
Ian_m

I forgot to turn the outside water off one year and the collar of the plastic connector burst, resulting in a spectacular fountain. So I fastened it back together with two nylon cable ties as a temporary measure. That was about six years ago, and it's still "temporary".

like to think that the elasticity of the cable ties makes a future burst less likely.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Nice one. I would call it "semi-permanent engineering".

I bet you replace the part for £2 when you want to sell the house to make an impression on prospective buyers and never get your moneys worth out of the new part.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth