Crowbar design

Most crowbars are like this, and utterly useless, the long end is always in the way of a wall:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081005001132/zombie/images/3/37/Crowbar-angle.jpg
Let's say you're trying to remove a nail from near a corner on a ceiling, you try to hook the short end around the nail, then the long end is trying to go through the wall.
This is the correct design, yet they are quite uncommon: http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/mf_image_3x2/public/istock_000027898872_small.jpg?itok=HhZd2dFx&resize 00x740
--
"O'Ryan," asked the druggist, "did that mudpack I gave you improve your wife's appearance?"
"It did, surely," replied O'Ryan, "but it keeps fallin' off!"

Feeling lonely? Horse for courses. Most people who are competent would use something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dasco-Pro-Pry-Bar-Set-3-Piece-91/202585548
Add pictures here
βœ–

My point exactly, they're made properly, using a right angle. Why are 90% of them not a right angle?
--
The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of the oncoming train.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Because most arent used up against a wall and the other format works better when they arent.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 18:18:26 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"

Different bar for a different purpose. The one you posted is designed for demolition, not surgically removing a nail. I have at least 3 different styles of these kind of thing, all for different uses. If you are just pulling nails a cats paw like this is my favorite <(Amazon.com product link shortened)19087481&sr=8-1&keywordsΚt%27s+paw+tool>
Add pictures here
βœ–

Β  Thanks for posting that link ! That's what I was looking for when I bought the one I have ... I just ordered one . Prime rocks .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

The right angled versions are just as good for demolition aswell. If you just need a lever, who cares what precise angle it's at?
--
If Christians want us to believe in a Redeemer, let them act redeemed. -- Voltaire

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 11:59:59 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

For most jobs I use this:
<https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-12-in-Wonder-Bar-55-515K/100093815>
In fact, I used it Saturday to remove nails from the wall up by the ceiling.
When I need a lot more leverage, I use this:
<https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-42-in-Wrecking-Bar-DWHT55132/202985493>
For the really big jobs, there's this, although you have to devise your own fulcrum:
<https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-71-in-x-1-3-16-in-Hexagon-Crowbar-5CB180030/203581216>
We keep some chunks of 2x6 available for those jobs.
Cindy Hamilton
Add pictures here
βœ–

All backing up what I said, your three favourite tools have right angles. If not a right angle, the long end of it gets in the way of a wall. Yet most available versions are not right angles.
--
CONGRESS.SYS corrupted... Re-boot Washington D.C. (Y/N)?

Add pictures here
βœ–

Β  At last count I have 5 different varieties of "crowbar" . From a cats paw for pulling small nails to a 36" wrecking bar (what your first photo is properly called) for major deconstruction jobs . Every one of them shows wear - each has a different task ...
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

I've yet to find an advantage of a non-right angled bar.
--
We used to have Empires run by Emperors.
Then Kingdoms run by Kings.

Β  Then you've never worked in construction . Except for a 3 1/2 year stint as a rocket scientist (really! at an R&D lab at Thiokol's Wasatch Division) I have worked construction all my life . I'm building the house we live in ...
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Then explain to me where
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081005001132/zombie/images/3/37/Crowbar-angle.jpg
is better than http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/mf_image_3x2/public/istock_000027898872_small.jpg?itok=HhZd2dFx&resize 00x740
--
Boys who rub me up the wrong way come to a sticky end. -- Stephen Fry

Add pictures here
βœ–
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Prick.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ripping plank lumber from framing . Pulling up hardwood flooring - and saving it for re-use .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

How is the angle important for this? All you need is a long lever. And preferably one that doesn't get in the way of the thing next to it, which non-right angled ones always do!
--
"Beam me aboard, Scotty!" [-] "Will a 2 X 4 do, Captain?"

Add pictures here
βœ–

How is the angle important for this? All you need is a long lever. And preferably one that doesn't get in the way of the thing next to it, which non-right angled ones always do!
--
"Beam me aboard, Scotty!" [-] "Will a 2 X 4 do, Captain?"

Add pictures here
βœ–

Once again, if Sword hasn't found a use for a tool in his sheltered life he cannot imagine what to do with it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

A right angled crowbar has PRECISELY the same leverage.
--
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 15:05:19 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
Leverage is not the issue in demolition work, it is the sweep of the driven end and the curved fulcrum on the original crowbar you posted is designed to have the small end move as far as possible with one sweep of the bar because the fulcrum moves as you rock back on it. Leverage is the most when you are originally breaking something loose and it decreases with the added movement of the driven end as the item is getting looser.
Add pictures here
βœ–