Crowbar design

  I was a Cub/Boy Scout leader ... most of them were smarter than J.W. Sword though . Most likely a product of the modern school system , as evidenced by his ability to think in one dimension .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

The hardest thing when demolishing things is the first inch.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That is true and that is why the first little bit has the greatest mechanical advantage but you still need enough lift height to clear all the fasteners. We have done a lot of demo here with our remodeling and I am happy for that lift capacity.

Reply to
gfretwell

Did you enjoy explaining sex (or demonstrating it) to the little boys?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

  Just because you're a kiddy-diddler doesn't mean the rest of us are .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

And right angled crowbars allow you to lever anything anywhere without a neighbouring thing getting in the way.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm not the one that signed up to take little boys on camping trips.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Try it and get back to me. The fulcrum on a right angle bar will be right at the bend. The fulcrum on a curved bar follows the curve. I suppose I could take pictures if you don't have one to try.

Reply to
gfretwell

How much experience do you have in the construction and demolition business. Get 40 years in and get back to me.

Reply to
gfretwell

What does that make someone who doesn't understand how to build things.

Reply to
gfretwell

I can do it a hell of a lot easier with a tool that fits into corners. I guess you only demolish stuff without walls.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I build things with screws, so they can be taken apart again. Nails are for neanderthals.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Fine if you are not building much. Serious builders use nail guns.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nails are much stronger and don't have those stress concentrating ridges.

If you don't absolutely have to take it apart, use a nail.

Reply to
TimR

Most nails have ridges to stop them coming back out.

Screws don't damage what you're hammering into.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 21:31:17 -0000, Dove Tail wro= te:

Everything is taken apart at some point. And screws can be put in with = precision.

-- =

A farmer in Yorkshire sees a bloke drinking from his stream and shouts, = =E2=80=9CEy up cocker, tha dunt wanna be drinkin watta frum theer, its f= ull o hoss piss an cow s**te an it could kill thee.=E2=80=9D The Bloke says, "Sir I am a muslim from Pakistan, can you be speaking cl= earer and slower please.=E2=80=9D The farmer replies, "If.... You.... Use.... Two.... Hands.... You.... Wo= n't.... Spill.... Any."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No think to the future when you want to remove part of that for upgrades/alterations, repairs....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Then use the new improved pozidrive! They don't slip like that. The slippage should be in the torque limiter in the power driver.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 19:15:05 -0000, Terry Coombs wrot= e:

Ever heard of the word "overkill"?

-- =

My childbirth instructor says it's not pain I'll feel during labour, but= pressure. Is she right? Yes, in the same way that a tornado might be called an air current.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

  Look stupid , I'm building this house from the ground up to my own design . I'm retired , and doubt I'll need any upgrades or want to change things . Repairs are very unlikely - remember upthread if I ever heard of overkill ? Well yes I have , and I've applied the principle to this structure . If a 2x10 is enough , I went with a 2x12 . If supports need to be a maximum of 10 feet apart , I went with 8' . Full OSB sheathing instead of just corners and fiberboard sheathing on the rest . Full OSB roof decking instead of 1x4 strips every 16" to screw the steel roofing to . Outlets every 6 feet instead of 8 or 10 , and limited to 5 per circuit . I worked building trades for over 40 years and retired as a master cabinet maker . In that time I saw a lot of f***ed up shit - and learned from that how NOT to do things .
Reply to
Terry Coombs