Lowe's Lousy Inventory

Page 2 of 4

Menards is a killer store, great prices, every length and type of lumber imaginable, whole house kits, garage kits, shed kits, very complete departments in all the other building and decorating trades.... And you can fit 2 HD's and 2 Lowes stores inside the Menards around here. Farm and Fleet is pretty good too, if I cant find something anywhere else F and F will often have it.
nada wrote:

A year or so ago I went to our local lumber/hardware store to look for an item I had not been able to find anywhere else. While there I happened across a Stanley "Wonder Bar" with a price tag of $11.xx. I was surprised, because I already had one at home that I had bought not long before at Menards (Wisconsin-based regional chain), and I was sure I had not paid that much for it. In fact it still had the Menards price sticker on it -- $5.99, and I am sure that I had bought it when it was on sale, probably for $4.xx. At Lowe's it was $8.xx. I don't recall ever checking HD's price.
Same item, same "famous" US brand, all made in China, widely differing prices. Guess why I go the the local lumber/hardware store only as a last resort.
One day in the electrical aisle at HD I ran into a guy who was checking marked prices against what turned out to be an invoice from one of several local "real electrical suppliers." Some items were cheaper at one, some cheaper at the other.
One of the local Ace Hardware stores carries Benjamin Moore paint only in gallon cans -- no 5-gallon pails. The other doesn't carry Benjamin Moore at all -- only the store brand.
Perce
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 16:08:13 -0700, Larry Caldwell

Some stores are larger than others, depending on location and demand. And then stores have various marketing strategies. Right now I need gardening supplies and equipment and the large stores have moved all of that out and put in Christmas decorations. I had to do some Internet shopping, and the local stores can't understand why they are not doing so well.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

When the local Lowes went up earlier this year I stopped by to check it out. On the front door was a large welcome sign in both English and Spanish. This theme was repeated throughout the store.
Now I'm pretty sure the last time I checked that this was still America, and that immigrants to this country should understand English if they wish to live here. Apparently not to the executives at Lowes.
I walked out of that store within five minutes of walking into it, and I will never set foot in it again.
Jon

Sears Essentials store is like that also.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They wouldn't do it if it didn't make a positive difference in their bottom line. Even up north here, I see a lot of obviously Hispanic-background folks in Lowe's (and other stores). In the southernmost tier of states, if you are strawbossing a construction site, you better speak at least some Spanish, or have an aide that does. (or in the case of the hospitality industry, whoever heads up your housekeeping department.) So if Lowe's standard signage for down there needs to be bilingual, it makes sense for them to just have the default setup for all the stores be that way. Like it or not, a large part of the buying public in this country has Spanish as their primary language. And not all of them are immigrants. Traditionally, maintaining the 'mother tongue' at home fades away by the third generation, but that was when the 'melting pot' was the path most waves of immigrants followed. Not all ethnic groups follow that practice.
Remember, in some areas of the country, Spanish was the 'official' language well before English was. Us Anglos are the newcomers. I don't know if Lowes is up in Quebec, but I suspect big-boxes up there have English and French on their signs. I do know that in the Little Whatever enclaves of big cities, stores have the language of the local ethnic community on many of their signs.
-- aem sends, not finding the situation all that offensive....

up here in New England, most store signs were in American & Quebec French (which is nothing like Parisian French) up until about 15-20 years ago. big box signs are in American/Spanish now, but i think the French speakers still outnumber Spanish speakers. lee
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:11:05 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

Jesus didn't speak English, either.
He does in my Bible. But not the Jesus who wants to mow my lawn.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The Jesus I know speaks Mexican, he's a nice hardworking little feller.
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Yeah, but look what happened to Him.
Or maybe it was because He was a carpenter...
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

[....]
this is america because people from europe got off the boat and wasted no time learning the languages of the indigenous people of this continent. instead they set about the task of raping murdering and committing general genocide against those indigenous people for the purpose of stealing their lands so as to craft a nation of their own liking. so yes now we have america, a land of liars, thieves, fornicators, idolaters and covetous extortioners whose primary concern focuses explicitly on their own needs.

you mention my saviour and all the unbelievers come out of the woodwork to put forth their ridicule. so I stop and remember God loves unbelievers too.

I didn't write the paragraph to which you responded.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I'm well aware of that because the attributes make it clearly obvious to me who wrote what and in what order they were written.

You did it wrong and made it look as if I wrote that. Please learn to attribute correctly.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I think the problem is that when you start getting the indents too deep you may be responding to a paragraph written earlier in the thread but your software just thinks that the actual post is the one that said it.
I made the same mistake last week -- much to my chagrin.
--
"America itself is a one-party state.
But with typical American extravagance,

The exact problem is that he posted my name followed by someone else's words.

There is almost never a need to quote past two levels of attribution.
AZ Nomad wrote:

While I would agree, there is a school of thought that runs contrary to my bandwidth conservation approach and insists on quoting the entire previous post in all its glory regardless of any appeals to sanity. I think it was started by a top-posting, cross-posting [your epithet of choice here].
--
They\'re locking them up today they\'re throwing away the key
I wonder who it\'ll be tomorrow you or me.

If I have to scroll past more than two screens before I see any added content, I plonk the sender and move on.