Garbage Disposal Problem

Machine is 8 years old and has worked well for all this time. Today it stopped working. When I turn the electricity on it hums and does not rotate. It is not jammed. I can rotate the shaft by hand. Anybody have any thoughts as to what is wrong?

Thanks,

EJ in NJ

Reply to
EJ Willson

Is the unit an In-Sink-Erator with the hex port in the bottom?

I once worked on a unit that I could turn with the bottom wrench but would still "hum"

I kept turning it with the wrench (both directions).......finally it ran...noisily, because there was a tiny chunk of something in the grinding chamber. I let it run for a long time until it cleared. The item was too small to see.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

Had one like that and turned out the starting windings in the motor were kaput. Cheaper to simply slide in a new unit. If the starter windings are good, the motor may start up if you can spin it fast enough while energized. That could dislodge some crud in the starter switch part to permit to operate a while longer.

joe

Reply to
Joe

Had them that I THOUGHT were turning, but there was definitely something in there. I'd turn it backwards, and it would unjam, then turn it on, and it would jam in an instant. Take a flashlight and some long forceps and look in there. If there is DEFINITELY POSITIVELY nothing in there, and the reset button is punched, and you get a hum, time to change it. 8 years is about the lifespan of a good disposal.

Kinda makes one find a reason to go out and buy one of those little endoscope cameras ...........

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I had a similar problem. Hum. Able to loosen the hex, but then it would jam again.

I removed the unit and disassembled it. I found there was a nickel wedged on edge between the spinning plate and the wall of the disposal.

Reply to
Grip

I had a similar problem. Hum. Able to loosen the hex, but then it would jam again.

I removed the unit and disassembled it. I found there was a nickel wedged on edge between the spinning plate and the wall of the disposal.

I have found several coins in there, dimes being just the right size to get under the paddles. A good flashlight, and a good inspection can find lots of small things, like bits of clear glass, which are almost invisible. My fingers are just the right length that I can put them down there and turn the plate and find "stuff". It's easy to know when you find glass.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I took it apart and it would start by hand spinning it. It would not start on its own. Bought a new unit and replaced it.

Thanks for everyones comments.

EJ in NJ

Reply to
EJ Willson

Other than kids - who should only have to be told *once* - how do coins end up in the disposer?

You found a nickel one time, you've found "coins" other times. You even know which coins fit where.

Just what are you eating at your house?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"EJ Willson" wrote

After eight years of service to the family, it would be appropriate to bury it in the back yard with a little marker. ;-) Hope you replaced it with a decent one, or you'll be redoing it in four years. Eight years is a long time to last, and it musta been a good disposal.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB