Help with Kenmore refrigerator

The water dispenser stopped working the other day. Not sure if ice cubes also stopped being produced. Then magically started working again. This happened about 4 or 5 years ago. Recall it being expensive to repair($400.00).

The refrigerator is about 10 years old.

I seem to recall something about an evaporated heater, but not sure.

It really is not wise to have another service call on it, as it's not worth it.

Does anybody have any ideas about diagnosing the issue? Started working again, but have the feeling it will come back.

Kenmore side by side - M/N 596.50392001 Manufacture P50392000W0

I think the unit is actually made by Maytag.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks. btb

Reply to
Brent Bolin

Follow the water. The water line comes in and goes to a solenoid valve that is wired to a switch in the door that opens it. There may also be an inline filter. The solenoid valve is likely visible from the back with a panel removed. If you go to any of the online appliance parts stores and put in your make/model, they usually have good blow out drawings that show how it's put together, where parts are located, etc

Reply to
trader4

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't recall anything related to solenoid when the repair was done. That's something I would have remembered. True It might be unrelated.

Reply to
Brent Bolin

Blows my mind that things manufactured in the 60 and 70's would last for ever. Solid state things..no moving parts etc... Service calls on things like this make fixable prohibitive.

Reply to
Brent Bolin

It's funny or not so funny the way you look at it. Within the last two years had to unload two Saturns(New wife). Actually had to pay somebody to toe them away. Mine smoked and went through 3-4 quarts a week. Hers leaked like a sive on the driveway. I swore to myself I would Never by american again.

Come on we have had 150 years to make an engine. Honda, it was and never looked back. Spoke with my mother the other day. Father spent

15K to get the Northstare engine replace.

My mother said she would barrie the old man with his Cadilac and a bottle of Scotch Wiskey when done. :)

btb

Reply to
Brent Bolin

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a18g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

Here's the diagram/parts from Sears.

At least you can get the OEM part numbers if you need them. If you order parts online though go elsewhere then Sears like repairclinic.com. Should get a better deal.

Reply to
Red Green