Is there a 'magic' solution for dissolving labels on glassware?

Page 5 of 5

Has anyone mentioned baking soda yet? Home brewers use it to lift labels off of beer bottles.
--
Jack Myers / Westminster, California, USA

perhaps there is a certain element of the lumpen literati that is so
On Thu, 16 May 2013 15:02:42 -0700, Jack Myers wrote:

I'll try the baking soda for the next plastic vitamin bottle, as the glue on them is the hardest yet (although the gasoline has no problem with it).
The kids used up another plastic gummy vitamins jar today:

But, this Costco vitamin jar was taller than the Costco mixed-nuts jar that I had used before (still had gas):

So, used a taller Costco red-capped peanut jar, with the result that the label came clean off:

The label peeled off like peeling the skin off an orange after only a few minutes in the gasoline:

Unless there's some negative effect, I'd say gasoline is close to a magic solution for removing stubborn labels from jars: a) It's cheap b) It's readily available c) It works in seconds d) It's easily washed off e) It's so volatile, it doesn't even have to be washed off f) It's not any more or less toxic than the recommended goo stuff

I'd like to see authoritative cites supporting d, e, and f.

On Wed, 22 May 2013 11:12:59 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

Let's take f, the reputed toxicity factor:
Googling for gasoline toxicity, I find this from NIH: Acute toxicity of gasoline and some additives. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1520023/ And this, from the CDC: Medical Management Guidelines for Gasoline http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mmg/mmg.asp?idF5&tid And this from the Canadian OSHA: What are the potential health effects of gasoline? http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/gasoline.html
They all say gasoline is not all that dangerous, even taken internally!
In fact, even if you drank the stuff straight out of the gas can, they all say the major danger is aspiration into your lungs with pneumonia being the largest danger from drinking the stuff.
They all end with a similar sentence as this by NIH verbatim below: "No acute toxic health effects would occur during the normal course of using automotive fuels."
BTW, those of you who think petroleum distillates horrid, think about what Vaseline is made up of. Or laxatives. Or many skin lotions. Or, more apropos, Goo Gone, which is advertised for removing the labels on bottles used in the kitchen. Read the MSDS (hint: It's 95% petroleum distillates).
If you don't think you use petroleum distillates every day, then think again.
NOTE: I'm not saying gasoline has no effects ... there are possible carcinogenic and irritant effects - but we're not talking anywhere near orders of magnitudes of the levels and time frames for that to occur from peeling the external labels off of closed vitamin jars.
Danny D wrote:

You first, dumbass. You drink a glass of gasoline, I seriously doubt you'll have to worry about getting pneumonia.
G.

In "the normal course of using automotive fuels", I don't drink them. Perhaps you do?

Not all petroleum distillates are created equally. You drink Benzene. BTW, the LD50 numbers for gasoline seem to be in the 2-5g/kg range. Not terrible but I'll let your drink the stuff.

So what? You ingest the most dangerous chemical on the planet every day, too. That statement alone is meaningless.

Your logic is amazing.
clipall
FYI, the crossposts you see here were deleted..My further responses to your posts are on RFC only so the many who filter out crossposts can see the thread.
Yes...
Some labels easily peel off. If not...
BBQ Lighter fluid.
Or Rubbing alcohol.
Or WD-40.
On Wed, 22 May 2013 20:45:41 +0000, ktos wrote:

The answer turns out to be:
Q: Is there? A: Yes.
Q: What? A: Petroleum distillates.